Buddhism sects

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Buddhism sects

Postby unspoken » Mon May 30, 2011 5:39 pm

I read the difference between Theravada and Mahayana and found out Theravada got 18sects. I am wondering what are the differences between each sects and why it existed? But not just one whole Theravada?

Why is it in some mahayana books they wrote mahayana is Great vehicle but theravada is small vehicle. And I think I watched a show called journey to the west, from china that show was produced. The monk Táng-sānzàng was told by the guan yin boddhisatva that to able to preach the world and to help them liberate from samsara, he need to acquire the Great vehicle teachings but not small vehicle teachings.
unspoken

Re: Buddhism sects

Postby Lazy_eye » Mon May 30, 2011 6:18 pm

unspoken wrote:Why is it in some mahayana books they wrote mahayana is Great vehicle but theravada is small vehicle. And I think I watched a show called journey to the west, from china that show was produced. The monk Táng-sānzàng was told by the guan yin boddhisatva that to able to preach the world and to help them liberate from samsara, he need to acquire the Great vehicle teachings but not small vehicle teachings.

This might not be the best forum in which to pose that question, since this is a Theravada group and Theravadins don't subscribe to this idea of there being a "small vehicle" and a "great vehicle".

You might try at Dharma Wheel (www.dharmawheel.net) which is a Mahayana group.

The short answer, anyway, is that Mahayana Buddhists believe the Buddha taught another set of teachings later in his career, and that these teachings go beyond the earlier ones. It's all explained in the Lotus Sutra. :)
Or the Heart Sutra, if you like brevity.
Lazy_eye

Postby cooran » Mon May 30, 2011 10:05 pm

Hello all,

Bhikkhu Bodhi has been trained in both Mahayana and Theravada. You may find this article by him of interest:

Arahants, Bodhisattvas, and Buddhas by Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ttvas.html

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Jhana4 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:22 am

I did not know that, interesting!
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jhana4

Postby PeterB » Tue May 31, 2011 7:42 am

The words that stand out for me are " we must avoid any kind of syncreticism ".
PeterB

Postby cooran » Tue May 31, 2011 7:56 am

Maybe you mean ''syncretism''? :tongue:

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby PeterB » Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 am

That too Chris... :smile:
:anjali:
PeterB

Return to Discovering Theravāda