no past or future

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

no past or future

Postby befriend » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:29 pm

Hi everyone,
what are some buddhist sutras that talk about how we should avoid dwelling on the future and the past? if there arent any sutras that talk about, are there any other commentaries on it? thanks. Metta, Befriend
befriend

Re: no past or future

Postby bodom » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:36 pm

[Devata:]
Those who abide in the forest, Peaceful, living the holy life; Those who eat but a single meal; — why is it their face is so calm?

[The Buddha:]
They do not grieve over the past, Nor do they yearn for the future; They live only in the present — That is why their face is so calm. It's from yearning for the future, And from grieving over the past; This is how fools become withered — Like a fresh reed that's been hacked down.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .olen.html

The Exalted One said this:

Let one not trace back the past
Or yearn for the future-yet-to-come.
That which is past is left behind
Unattained is the "yet-to-come."
But that which is present he discerns —
With insight as and when it comes.
The Immovable — the-non-irritable.
In that state should the wise one grow
Today itself should one bestir
Tomorrow death may come — who knows?
For no bargain can we strike
With Death who has his mighty hosts.
But one who dwells thus ardently
By day, by night, untiringly
Him the Tranquil Sage has called
The Ideal Lover of Solitude.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nana.html

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby befriend » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:40 pm

awesome, thank you very much for finding that. metta. Befriend
befriend

Postby bodom » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:46 pm

befriend wrote:awesome, thank you very much for finding that. metta. Befriend

Your welcome.

Here is another from the Dhammapada I just remembered

Let go of the past, let go of the future, let go of the present, and cross over to the farther shore of existence. With mind wholly liberated, you shall come no more to birth and death. - Dhp 348

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhism/dp24.htm

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby dhammapal » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:51 am

Hi,

Majjhima 133 seems to say not to trace back or yearn for past and future sensual pleasures. I think it means that setting non-sensual goals for the future and remembering Dhamma learned in the past is quite appropriate.

With metta / dhammapal.
dhammapal

Return to Discovering Theravāda