Which Translation of the Dhammapada is Best?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Which Translation of the Dhammapada is Best?

Postby Parsnips&Skirrets » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi All,

I am kind of new to all of this and so obviously don't know Pali or much about the strengths of different translations of various texts. I am especially confused whenever I look at all the different editions and translations of the Dhammapada, it is a bit overwhelming to me! I have in a couple of places noticed that some editions translate various Pali terms into English/Western ones (e.g. translating Sangha as Church) and don't want to buy something that would lead to 'wrong understanding'. Could those of you who are more knowledgable about Pali/Text Translations tell me which Dhammapada translations are the better ones?

Thanks.
Parsnips&Skirrets

Re: Which Translation of the Dhammapada is Best?

Postby Will » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:33 pm

Not sure if this one is in print form, but it has a traditional commentary and Bhikkhu Pesala based his version on Narada Mahathera's:

http://www.aimwell.org/assets/Dhammapada.pdf

A more scholarly book from Oxford U. Press, translated by John Ross Carter, The Dhammapada (500pp.), has the root text alone and then verse by verse with commentary & notes based on traditional commentaries.
This noble eightfold path is the ancient path traveled by all the Buddhas of eons past. Nagara Sutta
Will

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:59 pm

There is no simple answer to this question. Ven Pesala's update of Ven Narada's translation (and Ven Narada's original) give reliable translations of the meaning, and include the associated stories. It's also nice to have the Pali, so you can check on some of the terms yourself.

Some prefer some more "poetic" renderings, but some of the translations out there are truly horrendous.

There have been several discussions summarising the pros and cons of various versions:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 75&start=0
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1025

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby alan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:35 am

The one you read every morning.
alan

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:55 am

Greetings,

mikenz66 wrote:There have been several discussions summarising the pros and cons of various versions:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5675
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1025

And on that note, I think we might close this topic.

If anyone has any further comments to make, please do so in one of the aforementioned pre-existing topics.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Return to Discovering Theravāda