SN 6.2: Garava Sutta — Reverence

Where we gather to focus on a single discourse or thematic collection from the Sutta Piṭaka (new selection every two weeks)
mikenz66

SN 6.2: Garava Sutta — Reverence

Post by mikenz66 »

SN 6.2 PTS: S i 138 CDB i 233 Garava Sutta: Reverence
translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

Shortly after his Awakening, the Buddha reviews the world around him, searching for another being whom he can now rightly call his teacher.http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

I have heard that on one occasion, when the Blessed One was newly Self-awakened, he was staying at Uruvela on the bank of the Nerañjara River, at the foot of the Goatherd's Banyan Tree. Then, while he was alone and in seclusion, this line of thinking arose in his awareness: "One suffers if dwelling without reverence or deference. Now on what brahman or contemplative can I dwell in dependence, honoring and respecting him?"

Then the thought occurred to him: "It would be for the sake of perfecting an unperfected aggregate of virtue that I would dwell in dependence on another brahman or contemplative, honoring and respecting him. However, in this world with its devas, Maras, & Brahmas, in this generation with its brahmans and contemplatives, its royalty and common-folk, I do not see another brahman or contemplative more consummate in virtue than I, on whom I could dwell in dependence, honoring and respecting him.

"It would be for the sake of perfecting an unperfected aggregate of concentration that I would dwell in dependence on another brahman or contemplative, honoring and respecting him. However, in this world with its devas, Maras, & Brahmas, in this generation with its brahmans and contemplatives, its royalty and common-folk, I do not see another brahman or contemplative more consummate in concentration than I, on whom I could dwell in dependence, honoring and respecting him.

"It would be for the sake of perfecting an unperfected aggregate of discernment that I would dwell in dependence on another brahman or contemplative, honoring and respecting him. However, in this world with its devas, Maras, & Brahmas, in this generation with its brahmans and contemplatives, its royalty and common-folk, I do not see another brahman or contemplative more consummate in discernment than I, on whom I could dwell in dependence, honoring and respecting him.

"It would be for the sake of perfecting an unperfected aggregate of release that I would dwell in dependence on another brahman or contemplative, honoring and respecting him. However, in this world with its devas, Maras, & Brahmas, in this generation with its brahmans and contemplatives, its royalty and common-folk, I do not see another brahman or contemplative more consummate in release than I, on whom I could dwell in dependence, honoring and respecting him.

"It would be for the sake of perfecting an unperfected aggregate of knowledge and vision of release that I would dwell in dependence on another brahman or contemplative, honoring and respecting him. However, in this world with its devas, Maras, & Brahmas, in this generation with its brahmans and contemplatives, its royalty and common-folk, I do not see another brahman or contemplative more consummate in knowledge and vision of release than I, on whom I could dwell in dependence, honoring and respecting him.

"What if I were to dwell in dependence on this very Dhamma to which I have fully awakened, honoring and respecting it?"

Then, having known with his own awareness the line of thinking in the Blessed One's awareness — just as a strong man might extend his flexed arm or flex his extended arm — Brahma Sahampati disappeared from the Brahma-world and reappeared in front of the Blessed One. Arranging his upper robe over one shoulder, he saluted the Blessed One with his hands before his heart and said to him: "So it is, Blessed One! So it is, One-Well-Gone! Those who were Arahants, Rightly Self-awakened Ones in the past — they, too, dwelled in dependence on the very Dhamma itself, honoring and respecting it. Those who will be Arahants, Rightly Self-awakened Ones in the future — they, too, will dwell in dependence on the very Dhamma itself, honoring and respecting it. And let the Blessed One, who is at present the Arahant, the Rightly Self-awakened One, dwell in dependence on the very Dhamma itself, honoring and respecting it."

That is what Brahma Sahampati said. Having said that, he further said this:
  • Past Buddhas,
    future Buddhas,
    & he who is the Buddha now,
    removing the sorrow of many —

all have dwelt,
    will dwell, he dwells,
    revering the true Dhamma.
    This, for Buddhas, is a natural law.

Therefore one who desires his own good,
    aspiring for greatness,
    should respect the true Dhamma,
    recollecting the Buddhas' Teaching.
mikenz66

Re: SN 6.2: Garava Sutta — Reverence

Post by mikenz66 »

AN 4.21 Uruvela 1
Translated by Bhikkhu Bodhi

[Same sutta but with an extra verse.]
SN 6:2, I 138–40, records the incident in direct narrative mode. It includes a fifth factor: the knowledge and vision of liberation. Since it is set at the time of the Buddha’s enlightenment, it makes no mention of the Saṅgha, which arose only after the Buddha began to teach
http://suttacentral.net/en/an4.21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thus have I heard. On one occasion the Blessed One was dwelling at Sāvatthī in Jeta’s Grove, Anāthapiṇḍika’s Park. There the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus: “Bhikkhus!”

“Venerable sir!” those bhikkhus replied. The Blessed One said this:

“Bhikkhus, on one occasion I was dwelling at Uruvelā, by the goatherds’ banyan tree on the bank of the Neranjarā River, just after I had attained full enlightenment. Then, while I was alone in seclusion, a course of thought arose in my mind thus: ‘It is painful to dwell without reverence and deference. Now what ascetic or brahmin can I honor, respect, and dwell in dependence on?’

“Then it occurred to me: (1) ‘If my aggregate of virtuous behavior were incomplete, for the sake of completing it I would honor, respect, and dwell in dependence on another ascetic or brahmin. However, in this world with its devas, Māra, and Brahmā, among this population with its ascetics and brahmins, its devas and humans, I do not see another ascetic or brahmin more accomplished in virtuous behavior than myself whom I could honor, respect, and dwell in dependence on.

(2) “‘If my aggregate of concentration were incomplete, for the sake of completing it I would honor, respect, and dwell in dependence on another ascetic or brahmin. However … I do not see another ascetic or brahmin more accomplished in concentration than myself….

(3) “‘If my aggregate of wisdom were incomplete, for the sake of completing it I would honor, respect, and dwell in dependence on another ascetic or brahmin. However … I do not see another ascetic or brahmin more accomplished in wisdom than myself….

(4) “‘If my aggregate of liberation were incomplete, for the sake of completing it I would honor, respect, and dwell in dependence on another ascetic or brahmin. However, in this world with its devas, Māra, and Brahmā, among this population with its ascetics and brahmins, its devas and humans, I do not see another ascetic or brahmin more accomplished in liberation than myself whom I could honor, respect, and dwell in dependence on.

“It occurred to me: ‘Let me then honor, respect, and dwell in dependence only on this Dhamma to which I have become fully enlightened.’

“Then Brahmā Sahampati, having known with his own mind the reflection in my mind, disappeared from the brahmā world and reappeared before me just as a strong man might extend his drawn-in arm or draw in his extended arm. He arranged his upper robe over one shoulder, bent down with his right knee on the ground, reverently saluted me, and said: ‘So it is, Blessed One! So it is, Fortunate One! Bhante, those who were the Arahants, the Perfectly Enlightened Ones in the past—those Blessed Ones, too, honored, respected, and dwelled in dependence only on the Dhamma. Those who will be the Arahants, the Perfectly Enlightened Ones in the future—those Blessed Ones, too, will honor, respect, and dwell in dependence only on the Dhamma. Let the Blessed One, too, who is at present the Arahant, the Perfectly Enlightened One, honor, respect, and dwell in dependence only on the Dhamma.’

“This is what Brahmā Sahampati said. Having said this, he further said this:
  • “‘The perfect Buddhas of the past,
    the Buddhas of the future,
    and the present Buddha
    who removes the sorrow of many:
    all those dwelled, now dwell,
    and in the future will dwell
    revering the good Dhamma.
    This is the nature of the Buddhas.

“‘Therefore one desiring the good,
    aspiring for greatness,
    should revere the good Dhamma,
    recollecting the Buddhas’ teaching.’
“This was what Brahmā Sahampati said. He then paid homage to me, and keeping me on his right, he disappeared right there. Then, having acknowledged Brahmā’s request and what was proper for myself, I honored, respected, and dwelled in dependence only on the Dhamma to which I had become fully enlightened. And now that the Saṅgha has acquired greatness, I have respect for the Saṅgha, too.”
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Any thoughts on the punchline of this sutta?
“It occurred to me: ‘Let me then honor, respect, and dwell in dependence only on this Dhamma to which I have become fully enlightened.’
Honouring, respecting, and dwelling in dependence on Dhamma does, to me, have an odd ring to it, when it is the Dhamma that he (re)discovered.

I keep having these odd visions of Einstein saying that he dwells in dependence on relativity... :tongue:

:anjali:
Mike
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Relatively (sorry :tongue: ) recently, the Sikhs decided to put their faith in their holy book rather than in any of the living teachers who expounded its doctrines (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guru_Granth_Sahib). It has its advantages, too. :thinking:
As for Gautama (and Einstein), saying (in effect), "I trust my discoveries more than I trust anyone who has not made these discoveries," seems perfectly reasonable to me. I know, on my own much lower level, I trust my own knowledge of some subjects far more than I trust the 'knowledge' of most of the people in my local community.

:namaste:
Kim
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks Kim, that's a great way to think about it...

:anjali:
Mike
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

This is the same sutta quoted in Ven. Dhammando's signature. This translation has resonated with me since I first read it.

...and this thought arose in the mind of the Blessed One:
“Who lives without reverence lives miserably.”
— Uruvela Sutta, A.ii.20
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Yes, that's a nice translation. Very direct.

Ven Thanissaro's is:
.... this line of thinking arose in his awareness: "One suffers if dwelling without reverence or deference.
Ven Bodhi
... a reflection arose in his mind thus: “One dwells in suffering if one is without reverence and deference.