Starting a Shrine and Puja

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.

Starting a Shrine and Puja

Postby Bakmoon » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:18 am

I have a question that is rather simple (I hope).

First, What are the nessisary components of a home shrine? (statue, flowers, incense, etc...)

Second, what is the standard procedure for preforming Puja? What order are things offered in, what is chanted, and when?

Thanks in advance!
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.
Bakmoon

Re: Starting a Shrine and Puja

Postby Ben » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:50 am

Hi Bakmoon,

This might be of interest to you:
Lay Buddhist Practice The Shrine Room, Uposatha Day, Rains Residence
by Bhikkhu Khantipalo
Your shrine can be as ornate or as simple as you like. Don't be too dogmatic about it.
kind regards,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Re: Starting a Shrine and Puja

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:00 am

Bakmoon wrote:I have a question that is rather simple (I hope).

First, What are the nessisary components of a home shrine? (statue, flowers, incense, etc...)

Second, what is the standard procedure for preforming Puja? What order are things offered in, what is chanted, and when?

Thanks in advance!

There are many threads in the shrine room section which maybe of use for you particularly this http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1810
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Return to Shrine Room