your home altar/shrine

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Cittasanto

Re: your home altar/shrine

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Fade,
if you resize the image it may allow you, if not PM me I'll send you my mail and I can post it online and send you the links if you don't have an account to do it with.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

Cittasanto wrote:Hi Hickersonia
how did you bind the Book? it is something I am interested in myself.
Ahh, yes. Another thing my loving wife took the time to teach me. I had to look a little but I found a page that fairly closely explains the basic process here:
http://stacienaczelnik.hubpages.com/hub ... Step-Guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't go to quite the same level of specificity on my materials as the above link suggests, so I guess I could say that you ought to let your inner creativity guide you, and be patient. As with all good and fruitful things, it takes some practice.
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Fede

Post by Fede »

"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fede

Post by Fede »

Image #2 - green Tara...

She's a close and personal friend of mine...... :smile:

(Still haven't got the image pasting quite right though.... and trust me, for me, this is h-u-g-e!!)
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Fade, all I do when I forget is quote a post that has images then past the URL where the original URL is and delete the rest of the post and post mine.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Fede

Post by Fede »

what a good idea!
And it doesn't break the second precept! :jumping:

Fede

Post by Fede »

This is in my entrance porch... It's the 'welcome home' Buddha, if you like.
Nice to come home to.

[URL=http://min.us/mxYzjSdrc#3o][img]ht ... .jpg[/img][/url]

(By the way, it snowed like stink last night. Can you tell??)

Bhavana

Post by Bhavana »

a little girly, I know, but I like it that way. I use what i have. (no, I am not a believer in the mystical powers of crystals. I just think they are pretty)
Attachments
bedroom 012.jpg
bedroom 012.jpg (87.28 KiB) Viewed 13303 times
bedroom 004.jpg
bedroom 004.jpg (81.95 KiB) Viewed 13303 times
VictoryInTruth

Post by VictoryInTruth »

I like your altar it is very beautiful. I especially like your Buddha statue... If you don´t mind me asking...where did you buy your crystals...online or at a local store? I am looking to buy some crystals myself but am leary of buying them online and then they end up not being genuine. Thanks.

:buddha1:
Kokoro

Post by Kokoro »

Butsudan.jpg
Butsudan.jpg (121.63 KiB) Viewed 13191 times
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

My home shrine has, for six or seven months, resided in a small bookcase in our living room (next to my desk). Anyone looking back can see it on page 4 of this thread. Anyway, I've always felt that it's location was somewhat inadequate, but I've been very cautious to not "shock" my wife with anything she might consider "crazy." I guess you could say I've been breaking her into the idea of my being Buddhist slowly and deliberately so as to not cause too much friction in the home.

Keeping the story to a minimum (to keep the thread on topic), she has been fairly supportive of me, or at least not restrictive / prohibitive. She sees my spirituality as important, and maybe even valid (she hasn't said that specifically, but through her actions thus far it can be inferred). As such, I've decided to claim some space in our classroom for my quiet space and established my shrine there.

This entailed a new table and a lot of cleaning, but offers me a place to read, and possibly meditate if I so choose, something into which I'm only barely starting to venture. I figured I could share this change with friends here, maybe as a testament to the fact that multi-faith families can be made to work if both parties are fair and willing to work together.

I carried over most of the items from the original shrine area but may make further changes eventually... I don't have a cushion, for instance, so I'm borrowing one from our couch when I need one. Fact is, ultimately, that I'm limited to a budget of about $15 per week and have usually been inclined to buy books before anything else. As I'm in the middle of the 1,400 page Majjhima Nikaya, I don't imagine needing any new books for a few... months at least.
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
plwk

Post by plwk »

Bhavana wrote:a little girly, I know, but I like it that way. I use what i have. (no, I am not a believer in the mystical powers of crystals. I just think they are pretty)
What's with the Catholic rosaries in the background, if I may ask...
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Hi,

Love all the pictures of shrines, they give me so much inspiration because I have been meaning to make one for myself soon, although I don't have a lot of room being a student and all.
Where do you guys get your Buddha statues (I live in UK)? I have looked on ebay and there are some really nice ones, but I also want to make sure there are no rules such as being a certain shape, or having to be blessed.

Thanks,

Coyote
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Bonsai Doug

Post by Bonsai Doug »

Great thread. This is the place in my home-office where I meditate.
Attachments
altar 2b.jpg
altar 2b.jpg (229.22 KiB) Viewed 12468 times
Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

plwk wrote:
Bhavana wrote:a little girly, I know, but I like it that way. I use what i have. (no, I am not a believer in the mystical powers of crystals. I just think they are pretty)
What's with the Catholic rosaries in the background, if I may ask...
its known as a mala, they are used to count recitations, I have one made of bone!

John Stuart Mill