S. N. Goenka (1924-2013) and his legacy

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
rolling_boulder

Re: S. N. Goenka (1924-2013) and his legacy

Post by rolling_boulder »

By all accounts a great teacher of the true Dhamma.

I was considering attending a meditation retreat with him this year. I put it off telling myself "surely next year I will have more time."

This is a powerful lesson in ardency for me.
The world is swept away. It does not endure...
The world is without shelter, without protector...
The world is without ownership. One has to pass on, leaving everything behind...
The world is insufficient, insatiable, a slave to craving.
izzy

Post by izzy »

David N. Snyder wrote:
:candle: :candle: :candle:

The purpose of this thread is to have a venue for posting about the great legacy this Dhamma master left us with and his great achievements with the Dhamma and spreading of the Dhamma. Feel free to post photos, stories, information about his success with propagating Dhamma, prison outreach, etc. Since this is in the Shrine sub-forum, all posts must be completely Respectful toward this great teacher and legend of the Dhamma. Any questions or critiques of his Vipassana techniques must be in other threads in other sub-forums, not here. Thanks for your cooperation.
This is the first time I've heard of him. Wow. Thank you very much for this. I've been watching some videos of him on youtube and I have no words. Very, very inspiring.

edit. removed picture from quote to avoid repetition
Ben

Post by Ben »

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..