Buddha Tooth Relic Temple, Singapore

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
zavk
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Buddha Tooth Relic Temple, Singapore

Postby zavk » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:09 am

Hi all,

I visited the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple in Singapore about two weeks ago. Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to explore the place. But I managed to snap some photos. It is an impressive, if somewhat glitzy, (Mahayana) temple. I did see the Buddha Tooth Relic but I couldn't take any photos of that as it wasn't allowed. The tooth was behind a glass window and a closeup of it was projected on a TV screen. What it looked like to me was, well, a little piece of bone. The temple has a gallery of Buddhist artefacts from different countries too, not unlike the ones I saw at the Asian Civilizations Museum, which I've posted in an earlier thread. I visited during the daily chanting session. It was quite inspiring to be in a hall of practitioners, all sincerely chanting away. Anyway, here are the photos (I'm not good with identifying Mahayana figures so I can't tell you what they are):

More about the place here (site has embedded music): http://www.btrts.org.sg/Index_Eng.html
With metta,
zavk

Ben
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: Buddha Tooth Relic Temple, Singapore

Postby Ben » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:11 am

Lovely photos Zavk!
Thanks for sharing.

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com

Return to “Shrine Room”