Stair Climbing, walking, bus riding ~ Buddhist Holy Sites

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
cooran

Stair Climbing, walking, bus riding ~ Buddhist Holy Sites

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Just back from spending a wonderful three weeks in N.E. India and Nepal - visited the usual Buddhist Holy Sites and then spending the last week based within walking distance of the Mahabodhi Temple.
Did an all night meditation there - locked in the grounds at 9.00 p.m. and not released until 4.00 a.m. at the earliest. And so it seems were the largest number of howling, fighting, yelping, cushion-stealing homeless dogs in the world. Did a lot of "bearing with".

During this last week we also visited Nalanda, plus The site of the Fire Sermon, and the caves of the Site of the First Council.

The last two need one to have a fair degree of physical fitness as well as common sense - Maoists are active in the area, and our group had to stay within sight of each other while climbing to the Site of the First Council. Hundreds of stairs need to be climbed at each of these two sites, and we went even further up at the site of the Fire Sermon ... right up to a Hindu temple on the peak above. The views from all the sites were incredible, as well as their feeling of power .... similar to the power emanating from the Mahabodhi temple during meditation near it.

I learned not to worry about being un-ladylike and panting and sweating .... or even leaning on the wall while gasping loudly.

I also discovered that there is a different art to coming down - especially if you have sore calf muscles ~ it worked better for me to lead with the sore leg.

Didn't want to come home - could have stayed another few months .... but, not being a millionaire and having bill to pay, I needed to come back to work.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
retrofuturist

Re: Stair Climbing, walking, bus riding ~ Buddhist Holy Sites

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Chris,

I'm very pleased for you to have had this fine opportunity and I hope it inspires you to muster up Right Effort and strive on towards the goal!

:thumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Welcome home Chris!
So, when's the slide-show night at your place?
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

cooran wrote: Hundreds of stairs need to be climbed at each of these two sites, and we went even further up at the site of the Fire Sermon ...
Excellent! I'm glad you had a good time! I was there in 2006 and miss Bodh Gaya and the other sites already.

I like the title of this thread (I do stair climbing for fitness).
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ben wrote: So, when's the slide-show night at your place?
And DW!
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Good stuff Chris :anjali:

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
cooran

Post by cooran »

Ben wrote:Welcome home Chris!
So, when's the slide-show night at your place?
metta

Ben
Hello Ben and all,

My camera, and my skill in photography, aren't of a very high standard - so maybe you might like to flick through these photos posted by a friend of mine on Flicker:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jo_beth/co ... 486074081/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Sobeh

Post by Sobeh »

How are all these things viewed out that way? I recall, for example, visiting Scotland and being rather shocked at the casual spray-painting of the lower walls of Edinburgh Castle by local youths. Is there a certain cavalier acceptance of what they live around, by and large, or are the majority of people proud of it all, or is it just a source of livelihood based on tourism for most people, or what?
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Sobeh,all,

BodhGaya is a World Heritage Site, not sure about the others, and all are conserved and protected by the Archeological Survey of India:
http://asi.nic.in/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bodhgaya is also a Hindu Holy place with many Hindu followers also walking around the terraces.
http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/Places/District/625765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, there are stalls and businesses who depend on pilgrims for their livelihood - but I saw no neglect or vandalising of the sites in any way.

with metta
Chris
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Hi Chris...please tell your friend one more person thinks she has taken some beautiful photographs...thank you...