Can you identify this object?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Bnii

Can you identify this object?

Post by Bnii »

I recently purchased this item but when I got it home I really started wondering what it was. I tried to look up the meaning behind the images but I'm coming up short. On the top part there is what I assume to be a running or jumping deer (or perhaps it's a goat?) and on both sides of the bell there is what seems to be a three faced elephant.
photo-2.jpg
photo-2.jpg (124.67 KiB) Viewed 4787 times
What is it and where should I put this?

Thanks for your help, I wasn't sure where to ask this!! Forgive me if this is the wrong place.
Sekha

Re: Can you identify this object?

Post by Sekha »

well I think this is a black bell. Maybe you should put it besides your main entry,

or perhaps either throw it to the garbage or give it to somebody

:anjali:
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bnii

Post by Bnii »

Well that was profoundly insightful as to the meaning of the symbols.......
bodom

Post by bodom »

Bnii wrote:Well that was profoundly insightful as to the meaning of the symbols.......
And that was a profoundly rude response. Maybe you should ask the person you bought it from. Im sorry to dissapoint you but this is not Antiques Road Show.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Sobeh

Post by Sobeh »

The elephant might be Airavata, Indra's mount. If so, it gives the piece its theme.
Bnii

Post by Bnii »

bodom wrote:
Bnii wrote:Well that was profoundly insightful as to the meaning of the symbols.......
And that was a profoundly rude response. Maybe you should ask the person you bought it from. Im sorry to dissapoint you but this is not Antiques Road Show.

As is your response and the original response. I already said I'm sorry if this was the wrong forum but it sort of looked like it belonged in a little shrine. I didn't ask how much it cost. I asked if anyone knew what the symbols were. I didn't ask for sarcasm or anything else. If the post was in an inappropriate forum a simple message saying that would have sufficed. Instead I have people going out of their way to make me feel like I've inconvenienced them by telling me it isn't the Antiques Road Show and that the item is a bell. By the way, it's disappoint and not dissapoint.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Let's all just calm down and return to topic.

First of all, Bnii, welcome to Dhamma Wheel.
I am no expert on east-asian symbolism but the elephant isn't one that I have seen before in conjunction with Theravadin art. I have seen the deer, but they are usually together, facing each other with a dhammacakka (Dhamma Wheel) between them.
It could be a timepiece used in a temple - but equally it may not. The gongs I am used to seeing are the flat Burmese brass gongs suspended from a rope.
gong.jpg
gong.jpg (2.07 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Yes, welcome Bnii...pay the rude, sarcastic, insensiitive remarks no mind...it's human nature...and everywhere...this website does have many positive qualities...

Be well...
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Good find, Monkey Mind. Maybe it is the deer from Deer Park, of the First Sermon of the Buddha.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Well done, Monkeymind!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Deer are a direct reference to the Buddha's first teaching in the Deer Park, Sarnath, also called Dharmachakra Parivartan. The suggestion is that so wondrous was the Buddha's appearance and peaceful his presence that even the animals came to listen. In the Tibetan tradition, a monastery which holds the Kangyur and Tengyur collections of texts would have this symbol of deer on both sides of the Dharma-wheel on the roof.
The Precious Elephant is a symbol of the strength of the mind in Buddhism. Exhibiting noble gentleness, the precious elephant serves as a symbol of the calm majesty possessed by one who is on the path. Specifically, it embodies the boundless powers of the Buddha which are miraculous aspiration, effort, intention, and analysis.
Both quotes from http://viewonbuddhism.org/general_symbo ... sm.html#1a
I am looking for a reference but can't find it... maybe it's a Mahayana symbol, I thought I heard that a white elephant was a symbol of Buddha's birth.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Bnii

Post by Bnii »

Monkey Mind, thank you! That's awesome. I love the explanation that even the deer, so easily spooked, was drawn in.

and appichato, thanks for the reminder. :smile:
adeh

Post by adeh »

The three headed elephant is the symbol for Laos so it is probably Loatian..which is as far as I know a Theravadin country. The elephant is an animal deeply associated with the Buddha and there are constant references to elephants in the Suttas. There is even a complete chapter in the Dhammapada devoted to the elephant. Adeh.

Wandering alone is better,
There is no companionship with a fool.
Wander on alone doing no evil,
Unworried, like the elephant Mataanga in the forest.
Dhammapada 330.
Last edited by adeh on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.