Guanyin

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Annicca

Guanyin

Post by Annicca »

Hi, everybody !

Here's a beautiful picture of Guanyin!
Attachments
Isn't she beautiful?
Isn't she beautiful?
Guanyin.jpg (75.54 KiB) Viewed 5166 times
Annicca! Annicca! Annicca!

"This, monks, is the origination of form. This, the origination of feeling... perception... fabrications. This, the origination of consciousness." --SN 22.5, PTS: S iii 13, CDB i 863--Samadhi Sutta: Concentration
tiltbillings

Re: Guanyin

Post by tiltbillings »

Hubba-hubba.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
plwk

Post by plwk »

Maybe you can try posting that at http://dharmawheel.net/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They might appreciate it better over there :anjali:
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Just to explain a little Annicca, this is a Theravadin Forum and the Mahayana Bodhisattvas like Guanyin are not recognised as having any validity in the Theravada as they were not taught by Shakyamuni Buddha.
But welcome to the Forum.

:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Although not a Theravada figure, there has been growing interest in Kwan-Yin in Theravada countries / adherents; see: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=662" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sanghamitta wrote:Just to explain a little Annicca, this is a Theravadin Forum and the Mahayana Bodhisattvas like Guanyin are not recognised as having any validity in the Theravada as they were not taught by Shakyamuni Buddha.
But welcome to the Forum.

While all that may be true, the above representation is hot. I think, however, I would prefer somethinmg a bit more tradtional, some of which are very lovely in their visual expressions of compassion.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

David N. Snyder wrote:Although not a Theravada figure, there has been growing interest in Kwan-Yin in Theravada countries / adherents; see: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=662" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, we have a (more traditional) statue in the garden at out local Thai Wat...

Mike
Anders

Post by Anders »

tiltbillings wrote:While all that may be true, the above representation is hot.
:rofl: ergo, justified post. :D
I think, however, I would prefer somethinmg a bit more tradtional, some of which are very lovely in their visual expressions of compassion.
As a fan of Guanyin on facebook, I love her in all incarnations. This one is is a sight. I am sure she's opted for being smoking hot in an emanation or two now and then. For the sake of all sentient beings of course.

While we on the topic of modern representations of the soundseer, this one impressed me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgHmSdpjEIk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Anders Honore wrote: this one impressed me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgHmSdpjEIk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stunning ... though I do wonder about the comment 'the original music is much better'. Do you know anything about that?

:namaste:
Kim
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Anders Honore wrote: this one impressed me:

Stunning ... though I do wonder about the comment 'the original music is much better'. Do you know anything about that?

Kim
Maybe this one?
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Thanks, daverupa- seems very likely.
I don't know if you noticed, but the one you linked to is a little longer than the other, as well as having music that fits and is far more convincingly Chinese. It includes the curtain call and a couple of moments in which the conductors appear, which I didn't remember from the one Anders linked, and probably a few other little chunks.

Kim
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Kim O'Hara wrote:...a few other little chunks.
Such as:

"Buddha Avalokiteshwara with Thousand arms, from the China Disabled Peoples Performance Art Troupe. They are all deaf and mute. The amazing leading dancer is Tai Lihua , who is a dance teacher at a deaf-mute school in Hubei, China."

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Who cares if she's not Theravada, Guanyin can sit on my altar anyday.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

You think she's hot?

Wait til you meet Vajrayogini...he he he. :thumbsup:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Do remember that this is a thread on Guanyin, who has some adherents in Theravada, and that this is the shrine room.
Thanks for your mindful and very sensitive attention.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..