Shrines, photos, statues, beads...

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.

Shrines, photos, statues, beads...

Postby rowboat » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:23 pm

Hello dhamma wheel friends. Please share photos or tell us a bit about your small shrine area, photographs, special book, your Buddha statue. Where did you find that statue? Is there a story behind your amulet? Did you make this?

I have some beads and a photograph of Venerable Luang Pu. I don't know very much about Ven. but there is something about this picture that says arahant to me so whenever I look at him I think, time is precious and life is short - a good reminder throughout the day to be sure!

Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
rowboat

Re: Shrines, photos, statues, beads...

Postby Tathagathava » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:46 am

Picture 014.jpg
Picture 014.jpg (29.06 KiB) Viewed 1279 times

Picture 012.jpg
Picture 012.jpg (28.56 KiB) Viewed 1279 times

Picture 007.jpg
Picture 007.jpg (29.29 KiB) Viewed 1279 times

that's my simple and small shrine,the first picture is the relics of Buddha and his main Disciples,Ven.Mahamoggalana and Ven.Sariputta.

:smile: :smile:

:candle: :buddha2: :candle:
Tathagathava

Postby pilgrim » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:07 am

Respectfully, I wish to point out that one should not garland the Buddha rupa with beads or flowers. Monks and also eight-preceptors undertake the rule not to wear a garland, so this practice is extended to how we treat the rupa. Some monks may wear a rosary around their neck, but theoretically they are just using a convenient body part to hang the rosary.
pilgrim

Postby alan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:53 am

Which is, of course, completely meaningless. Just like assuming that old withered guy is an arahant.
alan

Postby rowboat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:36 am

alan wrote:Which is, of course, completely meaningless. Just like assuming that old withered guy is an arahant.

Of course it can be meaningless to Alan that whenever I look at a particular photograph I'm reminded of something important.
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
rowboat

Postby Tathagathava » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:31 am

pilgrim wrote:Respectfully, I wish to point out that one should not garland the Buddha rupa with beads or flowers. Monks and also eight-preceptors undertake the rule not to wear a garland, so this practice is extended to how we treat the rupa. Some monks may wear a rosary around their neck, but theoretically they are just using a convenient body part to hang the rosary.

please notice that the beads is pink colored,that's not too fit with me,so i just put it to my buddha rupa,i planned to give it to my mom or my girlfriend... :smile: :smile: :smile:
Last edited by Tathagathava on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tathagathava

Postby Tathagathava » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:41 am

rowboat wrote:
alan wrote:Which is, of course, completely meaningless. Just like assuming that old withered guy is an arahant.

Of course it can be meaningless to Alan that whenever I look at a particular photograph I'm reminded of something important.

the old Monk in the first post is Luang Pu Thuat,he is a legendary monk in Thailand,i guest he is an arahant.Many amulets and statues depicted him. :smile: :smile: :smile:

he was born in 1582,he become famous as the story that once,when he was a little baby,a snake come to him,but didn't hurt him,but give him a crystal orbs,the legend told that the snake was a Deva's manifest, :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: .
Tathagathava

Return to Shrine Room