No See Evil Buddha

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.

No See Evil Buddha

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:44 pm

Apparently in a Mon temple in Samut Sakhon
http://www.thaiphotoblogs.com/2011/09/n ... il-buddha/

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Re: No See Evil Buddha

Postby Bonsai Doug » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:42 pm

I believe that is Phra Pidta. I think it means "eye closing."
The meaning of the Phra Pidta is to be indifferent to all external temper and emotions.
Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead
Bonsai Doug

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:46 pm

Bonsai Doug wrote:I believe that is Phra Pidta. I think it means "eye closing."
The meaning of the Phra Pidta is to be indifferent to all external temper and emotions.

To me it looks more like aversion (covering the eyes, avoiding) than indifference or equanimity, but maybe it's just a cultural thing, 'lost in translation'.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby daverupa » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:49 pm

Maybe that Buddha is embarrassed by all the ornate carvings surrounding their seat?

;)

I kid, of course. What it does remind me of, however, is an old meditation trick that I can't remember the source of: placing the thumbs in the ears, pinching the mouth closed with the small and ring fingers, pinching the nose closed with the middle fingers, and holding the eyes closed with the forefingers. Very forcibly withdrawn, it seems.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby befriend » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:37 pm

that is a kriya yoga technique from paramhansa yogananda tradition.
befriend

Postby plwk » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:13 am

Very big belly button.... :tongue:
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby alan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:47 am

Maybe he is just ashamed at what has become of the teachings in his country.
alan

Postby Sylvester » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:03 am

Ooh, just noticed this.

As Bonsai Doug mentions, it is a "Phra Pidta". One does not typically see these represented in buchas/statuary, being more typically made as votive tablets or amulets to be portable.

"Phra Pidta" is a more current Thai name. The archaeological evidence indicate that the older Siamese appellation was Bakawambodi. This is believed to be a corruption of "Phra Gavampati", Gavampati being possibly one of the first 11 Arahants (according to the Pali Vinaya), or one of Ven Sariputta's disciples (according to the Mahasanghika Vinaya).

There's supposed to be an 11th century statue of Gavampati attested from Burma's 11th century, dedicated by King Anawrahta.

As to why it has this peculiar iconographic representation, even Ven Dhammanando could not trace its origins. The Pali tradition credits him with having stopped a tsunami in its tracks, but I can't see how that relates to his eyes being closed. :shrug:
Sylvester

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:09 am

Thanks Sylvester! Fascinating to hear these little historical details...

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:24 am

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Sylvester » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:20 am

Ooh, tilt, you flagged out the hobby!

Shall I regale with tales of the wonders worked for those who wear their Phra Pidta amulets? Like the chap whose parachute did not open but survived the jump?

Or the Pidta amulet so powerful that the Malaysian police had to seek out its consecrator's help to neutralise the amulet that was helping its wearer escape capture? :stirthepot:

This is a very expensive hobby, especially when it involves the Pidtas consecrated by certain brand-name gurus. The transactional price could run into millions of Thai Baht...
Sylvester

Postby plwk » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:31 am

Amulet business big bucks....why didn't I think of it....
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:31 am

Sylvester wrote:Ooh, tilt, you flagged out the hobby!.
Your hobby? This is not your site?
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Sylvester » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:45 am

tiltbillings wrote:
Sylvester wrote:Ooh, tilt, you flagged out the hobby!.
Your hobby? This is not your site?

Heaven forbid that I should run sites that promote the kamadhatu.

That being said, I do wear an Ajahn Chah medallion every day, even if he had refused to consecrate it. Word has it that the medallions were promptly consigned to the pit by Ajahn Chah when he was presented with them. Not wanting to waste a good thing, the donor retrieved them. Small numbers have been trickling into the market. Just ask for the BE 2518 Phim Niyom, and the Thai dealers will groan about how impossible it is to find.

I won't grow rich from that medallion...
Last edited by Sylvester on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvester

Postby kirk5a » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:58 am

This is interesting...

Phra means Monk or amulet and Pidta means close eyed. The image of this person closing its face with his palms is a symbolical image of Maha Thera Sanghajay in Sammabart meditation. In Sammabart meditation one will go into deep absorption, as a result jhanas will appear.

http://www.phrapidta.org/?page_id=31

Anyone heard of "Sammabart meditation"?

More on "Phra Sangkadchai"
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=797
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
kirk5a

Postby Sylvester » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:08 am

From what I can gather from the mangled sales-pitch, the Thai "sammabart" is a corruption of "sammapatti" (attainment). Specifically, the idea that a consecrator would have been on a long retreat in a "sammabart" (making a gift to such a monk highly meritorious) leads me to think that the salesman was thinking of Nirodha Sammapatti.

PS - the Thai predilection for equating Phra Pidta with Sangkachai (Sangkachai = Sang + Kaccayana, where "Sang" is a Skt honorific used commonly in SEAsia meaning "the Venerable") doesn't really have a firm ground. Besides which, if the Thais knew their Sarvastivadin Avadanas, they'll realise that the Ven Kaccayana did not uglify himself on account of the ladies - he did it to avoid another homoerotic episode such as Sorreya's lust for his golden skin.
Sylvester

Return to Shrine Room