The early schools

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
Beneath the Wheel

The early schools

Post by Beneath the Wheel »

Is there a good book or article anyone can recommend that gives an overview of the early schools that came into being after the Buddha died? I am more interested in what is known about the differences in doctrine that started to appear and where they may have led (if anywhere).
tiltbillings

Re: The early schools

Post by tiltbillings »

Beneath the Wheel wrote:Is there a good book or article anyone can recommend that gives an overview of the early schools that came into being after the Buddha died? I am more interested in what is known about the differences in doctrine that started to appear and where they may have led (if anywhere).
Rupert Gethin's excellent THE FOUNDATIONS OF BUDDHISM.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Besides Tilt's good advice above, here is a short and quick outline from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Buddhist_schools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Cross Currents in Early Buddhism, by S. N. Dube, is probably of interest.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]