The Brahmajāla-sutta

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and texts.

The Brahmajāla-sutta

Postby drpaulfuller » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:09 pm

drpaulfuller

Re: The Brahmajāla-sutta

Postby boris » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:04 am

63rd View?

The Brahmajāla-sutta, we may think, does not explicitly contain a sixty-third view which is the insight and knowledge which gives the correct proposition in opposition to the sixty-two views. This is true as far as it goes, but also misleading. In my understanding, the Brahmajāla-sutta does suggest what correct knowledge is. This is knowledge (or understanding) of rise and fall, the anuloma and paṭiloma (forward and reverse) knowledge (or understanding) of ‘dependent-origination’ (paṭicca-samuppāda):

It is wrong idea to put right view in the same level as 62 brahmajala views. Rison is simple: righ view is view only on verbal plane, in reality it is direct knowlegde. 62 views are dependent on sakkya-ditthi, but to be free from sakkaya-diithi it is not matter of rational view which can be attained by only reasoning, but direct experience of sotapanna.
Once I believe I have mastered a truth, the argument which interests me is not the one which confirms it but the one which refutes it.
A confused idea attracts a fool like a flame attracts an insect.

Nicolás Gómez Dávila
boris

Re: The Brahmajāla-sutta

Postby Pondera » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:25 am

Oh no! I think someone is applying Gödel's incompleteness theorem to the Brahmajala!!!! :sage:
Pondera

Return to Early Buddhism