Introduction to Buddhist Chinese free online course

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and texts.

Introduction to Buddhist Chinese free online course

Postby dhammadarsa » Fri May 16, 2014 6:14 am

Dear all

I hope this email finds you in good health and peace of mind.

I've decided to start a 'learning Buddhist Chinese online study group' starting 24th May 2014.

If you are interested in it, please join: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/chinese_agama/info and read the new conversation thread called 'learning Buddhist Chinese online study group'.

Best Wishes
Bhikkhu Dhamma-daasa :woohoo:
dhammadarsa
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 10:27 am

Re: Introduction to Buddhist Chinese free online course

Postby Qianxi » Fri May 16, 2014 8:11 am

I don't think I have time to join the group, but here are a couple of online resources.

Roderick Bucknell, Marcus Bingenheimer, venerable Anālayo's Chinese-English glossary for their translation of the Madhyamāgama:
http://mbingenheimer.net/t26/mainGlossary.html

Zhuang Chunjiang's Agama dictionary. The explanations often include modern Chinese, as well as Pali and English, so it may not be helpful for everyone:
http://agama.buddhason.org/ad/index.htm
The site http://agama.buddhason.org/ also has all the Chinese agamas, with some difficult terms underlined that can be mouse-overed for an explanation, and parallel Pali text in adjoining window (eg. http://agama.buddhason.org/MA/MA022.htm ) Again, the navigation is all in Chinese, but it's not too hard to work out.
Qianxi
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Re: Introduction to Buddhist Chinese free online course

Postby dhammadarsa » Fri May 16, 2014 9:21 am

no, problem, thanks for the info, I'll pass it on to the group.


Qianxi wrote:I don't think I have time to join the group, but here are a couple of online resources.

Roderick Bucknell, Marcus Bingenheimer, venerable Anālayo's Chinese-English glossary for their translation of the Madhyamāgama:
http://mbingenheimer.net/t26/mainGlossary.html

Zhuang Chunjiang's Agama dictionary. The explanations often include modern Chinese, as well as Pali and English, so it may not be helpful for everyone:
http://agama.buddhason.org/ad/index.htm

The site http://agama.buddhason.org/ also has all the Chinese agamas, with some difficult terms underlined that can be mouse-overed for an explanation, and parallel Pali text in adjoining window (eg. http://agama.buddhason.org/MA/MA022.htm ) Again, the navigation is all in Chinese, but it's not too hard to work out.
dhammadarsa
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 10:27 am

Re: Introduction to Buddhist Chinese free online course

Postby Unrul3r » Sat May 17, 2014 2:24 am

Lapis Lazuli Texts also has a translation tool that might help.
User avatar
Unrul3r
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Porto, Portugal

Re: Introduction to Buddhist Chinese free online course

Postby dhammadarsa » Sat May 17, 2014 3:48 am

thanks for that too

Unrul3r wrote:Lapis Lazuli Texts also has a translation tool that might help.
dhammadarsa
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 10:27 am

Re: Introduction to Buddhist Chinese free online course

Postby Sylvester » Sat May 17, 2014 3:56 am

dhammadarsa wrote:Dear all

I hope this email finds you in good health and peace of mind.

I've decided to start a 'learning Buddhist Chinese online study group' starting 24th May 2014.

If you are interested in it, please join: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/chinese_agama/info and read the new conversation thread called 'learning Buddhist Chinese online study group'.

Best Wishes
Bhikkhu Dhamma-daasa :woohoo:



Thanks for the heads-up, Bhante.

Will the focus be linguistic, ie penetrating Textual Buddhism Chinese, with a focus on the Agama translation idioms/conventions?

I see a most intimidating list of scholars on the thread banner. Are non-specialists welcome to observe?

:anjali:
Sylvester
 
Posts: 1566
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:57 am

Re: Introduction to Buddhist Chinese free online course

Postby dhammadarsa » Sat May 17, 2014 4:05 am

Hi Sylvester

No problem.

Yes the focus would be linguistic, ie penetrating Textual Buddhist Chinese, with a focus on the Agama translation idioms/conventions.

I'm not sure where you see the list of scholars, (where is "the thread banner"?), but this is an introductory course, suitable for those who have not studied Chinese before.

Best wishes


Sylvester wrote:
dhammadarsa wrote:Dear all

I hope this email finds you in good health and peace of mind.

I've decided to start a 'learning Buddhist Chinese online study group' starting 24th May 2014.

If you are interested in it, please join: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/chinese_agama/info and read the new conversation thread called 'learning Buddhist Chinese online study group'.

Best Wishes
Bhikkhu Dhamma-daasa :woohoo:



Thanks for the heads-up, Bhante.

Will the focus be linguistic, ie penetrating Textual Buddhism Chinese, with a focus on the Agama translation idioms/conventions?

I see a most intimidating list of scholars on the thread banner. Are non-specialists welcome to observe?

:anjali:
dhammadarsa
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 10:27 am

Re: Introduction to Buddhist Chinese free online course

Postby Unrul3r » Sat May 17, 2014 4:26 am

Just found another website with a useful multi-script Sanksrit-Chinese-English Dictionary. You can also check the "Reference" link above the dictionary. It has an "An Introduction to Chinese Grammar" and alternative dictionaries. There is also additional information in the "Buddhism" tab.

If it helps, I also stumbled upon A New Practical Primer of Literary Chinese available on this website.

:sage:
User avatar
Unrul3r
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Porto, Portugal

Re: Introduction to Buddhist Chinese free online course

Postby Sylvester » Sat May 17, 2014 4:45 am

Thanks Bhante

The banner I was referring to was on the top of the page, listing -

Ichimura and yourself for the DA
Mukherjee for the MA
Ven Analyo for the SA
Bingenheimer for the smaller SA.

Very intimidating. Will Prof Bucknell be in the group?
Sylvester
 
Posts: 1566
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:57 am

Re: Introduction to Buddhist Chinese free online course

Postby dhammadarsa » Sat May 17, 2014 4:52 am

oh right. :sage:

I think none of the others are part of the group. Probably they are too busy. I have previously invited them, including Prof. Bucknell.

That banner is just for information as to what the agamas are and who is translating/has offered to translate them.


Sylvester wrote:Thanks Bhante

The banner I was referring to was on the top of the page, listing -

Ichimura and yourself for the DA
Mukherjee for the MA
Ven Analyo for the SA
Bingenheimer for the smaller SA.

Very intimidating. Will Prof Bucknell be in the group?
dhammadarsa
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 10:27 am

Re: Introduction to Buddhist Chinese free online course

Postby Sylvester » Sat May 17, 2014 7:01 am

I'm sold! Now to create another online persona to join.
Sylvester
 
Posts: 1566
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:57 am

Re: Introduction to Buddhist Chinese free online course

Postby dhammadarsa » Sat May 17, 2014 7:48 am

Hi All

This is the list of links to resources in the Chinese Agama yahoo group:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/chi ... /links/all

I believe I've included the suggestions above.

Best wishes
dhammadarsa
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 10:27 am

Re: Introduction to Buddhist Chinese free online course

Postby dhammadarsa » Sat May 17, 2014 8:19 am

Hi there

thanks for that. I just saw it and have to add it to the links on the Chinese Agama yahoo group.

Yes, the book you mention is already on our reference list and has been chosen for the next level of study.

best wishes

Unrul3r wrote:Just found another website with a useful multi-script Sanksrit-Chinese-English Dictionary. You can also check the "Reference" link above the dictionary. It has an "An Introduction to Chinese Grammar" and alternative dictionaries. There is also additional information in the "Buddhism" tab.

If it helps, I also stumbled upon A New Practical Primer of Literary Chinese available on this website.

:sage:
dhammadarsa
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 10:27 am


Return to Early Buddhism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests