Did the Buddha go to Sri Lanka?

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and texts.
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Did the Buddha go to Sri Lanka?

Postby retrofuturist » Sun May 16, 2010 4:07 am

Greetings,

I believe there is some debate about whether or not the Buddha went to Sri Lanka.

What evidence is there for and against the statement that the Buddha went to Sri Lanka?

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

alan

Re: Did the Buddha go to Sri Lanka?

Postby alan » Sun May 16, 2010 4:47 am

Sure would have been a long walk!

Anicca

Postby Anicca » Sun May 16, 2010 4:56 am

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Sun May 16, 2010 5:35 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun May 16, 2010 5:54 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

mythree

Postby mythree » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:54 pm

but i think there is a special significance in buddha and Sri lanka. beacuse lot of buddha's realtives came to sri lanka ( including princess Bhaddha kachchana).
Sabbe Saththa Bhavanthu SukhiThaththa...!

Sekha

Postby Sekha » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:02 pm

Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org

cooran

Postby cooran » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:25 pm

Hello all,

I believe it is highly likely. The Buddha could see into the future and would have realised just how important Sri Lanka would be in the preservation and proclamation of the true dhamma, vinaya and abhidhamma.

It wouldn't have been a difficult feat - for the Buddha or his realised great disciples. No more difficult than walking into another room.

"Again, Udayin, I have proclaimed to my disciples the way to wield the various kinds of supernormal power: Having been one, they become many; having been many, they become one; they appear and vanish; they go unhindered through walls, through enclosures, through mountains, as though through space; they dive inand out of the earth as though it were water; they walk on water without sinking as though it were earth; seated cross-legged, they travel in space like birds; with their hands they touch and stroke the moon and sun so powerful and mighter; they wield bodily mastery even as far as the Brahma-world; ....." MN 77.14 Mahasakuludayi Sutta The Greater Discourse to Sakuludayin

I know there was mention of disappearing from one place and appearing in others to talk to disciples in some suttas - one of whom was killed by a cow shortly afterwards - can't think of the exact one at the moment.
with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Sekha

Postby Sekha » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:50 pm

Last edited by Sekha on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:59 pm

สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

Sekha

Postby Sekha » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:26 pm

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:37 pm

i think he said he could know anything he set his mind to, someone would have to find that in the suttas though
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

Wind

Postby Wind » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:14 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:03 am

Maitri

Postby Maitri » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:59 am

"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

EricJ

Postby EricJ » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:45 am

If the Buddha saw fit to visit Sri Lanka, why wouldn't he have visited other places in the world, propagating the Dhamma over the entire world?
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:55 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:13 am

went to siam quite a bit too, the northern part at least
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

EricJ

Postby EricJ » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:25 am

Okay, I will revise my question. Why wouldn't the Buddha have visited places which are not historically Theravadin? Like the Scandinavian peninsula or the Amazon rainforest?
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:32 am

Return to “Early Buddhism”