Eating at restaurants

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.

Eating at restaurants

Postby pilgrim » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:40 am

Sometimes when fetching a monk to or from the airport, I am compelled to stop at a cafe or restaurant for lunch because of time constraints. I wish to inquire:
1. are there any rules which forbid a monk from eating at a restaurant?
2. are there any rules which forbid a monk and layman from eating at the same table ( but not sharing food) ?
I can't find answers to these specific situations in Ven Ariyesako's "A Guide for Laypeople"
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... guide.html

Rgds
pilgrim

Re: Eating at restaurants

Postby Goofaholix » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:29 pm

I believe the answer is no to both of those questions. As long as the food is offered properly and before noon it shouldn't matter where you are.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby appicchato » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:43 pm

Here in Thailand it's no, and yes...don't know if there's a rule, or not, but you don't see Thai monks and lay people sharing the same table...
appicchato

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:16 pm

1. are there any rules which forbid a monk from eating at a restaurant?
No there are rules about eating at a communal food distribution place (name?) but these would not be an issue here.

2. are there any rules which forbid a monk and layman from eating at the same table ( but not sharing food) ?
no, obviously there are rules about things being properly offered and as long as that is kept then there should be no problem. but ask the monks/transport co-ordinator for clarification on popper protocol.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Return to Ordination and Monastic Life