Plucked eyebrows

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.

Plucked eyebrows

Postby pilgrim » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:01 pm

I understand that Thai monks shave their eyebrows, but what is the position of the Vinaya on bhikkhunis (nuns) who pluck their eyebrows for cosmetic purposes? Is it a specific technical violation?
pilgrim

Re: Plucked eyebrows

Postby daverupa » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:50 pm

"The Buddha asked his monks to keep their heads and faces shaved and nuns to keep their heads shaved, probably for hygienic reasons and to lessen vanity (Vin.II,207). Nuns were expected to shave their under-arm and pubic hair which was a sign of respectability in women (Vin.III,260). Monks were also asked to cut the hair in their noses if it got too long so as to avoid having a curious or unpleasant appearance(Vin.II,134)."

source

Eyebrows aren't specifically mentioned, but I think the nose-hair clause (!) would apply.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby Ytrog » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:43 pm

A related question that popped into my mind: How do monks keep water out of their eyes when it rains or when showering without eyebrows?
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.

mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments

If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Ytrog

Postby cooran » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:53 pm

Ytrog wrote:A related question that popped into my mind: How do monks keep water out of their eyes when it rains or when showering without eyebrows?

When raining: umbrella, broad-brimmed hat, or roof.

addit: When showering, simply wash the face and, when finished, keep the head out of the downstream of the shower.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:08 pm

The eyebrow shaving goes back to some war Siam was having with Burma. The Thai monks were asked to shave their eyebrows so the could be distinguished from the Burmese monks. The specifics of tall of this I do not know, but it became the custom among the Thai Sangha.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby ancientbuddhism » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:56 am

tiltbillings wrote:The eyebrow shaving goes back to some war Siam was having with Burma. The Thai monks were asked to shave their eyebrows so the could be distinguished from the Burmese monks. The specifics of tall of this I do not know, but it became the custom among the Thai Sangha.

Burmese spies and assassins were disguising as bhikkhus is what I was told.
Anuvicca papañca nāmarūpaṃ
ajjhattaṃ bahiddhā ca rogamūlaṃ,
sabbarogamūlabandhanā pamutto
anuvidito tādi pavuccate tathattā

“Having known the naming of objects,
With its proliferation, its root in illness – within and without;
One is released from bondage to the root of all illness.
And thus is called the Knowing One – the Such.

– Sn. 3.6 (Sabhiyasuttaṃ)

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

Postby Disillusioned » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:02 am

These last two posts are correct. There's nothing about eyebrow shaving in Vinaya. I think in some war with Burma the king of Thailand actually decreed that the Thai monks shave them
Disillusioned

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:37 am

ancientbuddhism wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:The eyebrow shaving goes back to some war Siam was having with Burma. The Thai monks were asked to shave their eyebrows so the could be distinguished from the Burmese monks. The specifics of tall of this I do not know, but it became the custom among the Thai Sangha.

Burmese spies and assassins were disguising as bhikkhus is what I was told.

That's my understanding.

And [minor spoiler alert], you can see an example of that in the movie Bang Rajan (which is kind of the Thai version of the Alamo, though a little earlier...).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0284880/

If you are driving around in northern Ang Thong/southern Sing Buri you can drop into the memorial.

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Return to Ordination and Monastic Life