How do I ordain

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.

Re: How do I ordain

Postby Anagarika » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:08 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Thank you friends :anjali:

I can be in physically bad conditions. I did not have great comfort from small days and I am very used to it.

But I am 49 years. Is that a problem since I am old? I really hope not. I hope to start small and go step by step in a monastery. If I can not do it I will go back to sri lanka to my friends. It is better to try and see.

:anjali:

Blue, I don't think that your age will be an issue, as I was, ahem, about your age when I ordained as a samanera. So much depends on the Abbot; some are so kind that they will take in and ordain nearly anyone who expresses a sincere desire to train and become a monk, so long as the Vinaya rules are followed. Other Abbots can be strict, and refuse older folks, those with illness, and even dogs dropped off at the temple, as they don't want the cost burden of caring for older or infirm beings. As a general rule, and certainly at my Wat, the Abbot took all creatures in, furry or not.

49 is also young enough, that you'd have many years of vassa to complete and still be only mildly middle aged. (After passing 50, I happily adopted this view. When I was 25, anyone my parent's age was 'decrepit' .....:) At 50, I had raised my children, and my life has opened up a bit in the sense that I can be a temporary homeleaver and not leave anyone behind. There are real advantages to being of your age when ordaining, as the issues or obstructions that would hinder a young man of 25 may not be present with someone 50 and having accumulated some wisdom and lived life a bit.
Anagarika

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:13 pm

BlueLotus wrote:But I am 49 years. Is that a problem since I am old? I really hope not. I hope to start small and go step by step in a monastery. If I can not do it I will go back to sri lanka to my friends. It is better to try and see.

:anjali:

There can be issues of adjusting to the life style due to deeply formed habits of speech and body, there is no reason you can not ordain due to your age.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Ytrog » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:45 pm

I'm wondering who in this forum feels the spark here. Maybe I start a topic to do a small inventory here of the people that have the wish to ordain. What do you think? :candle:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.

mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments

If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Ytrog

Postby Buddho » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:21 am

Hi friends,

My brother and I are leaving for Thailand on Sept. 5th. I'm looking to ordain and he is just exploring Buddhism. I've spent 2 months at a Wat in California and let me tell you becoming and staying a monk is definitely not an easy thing. But for those that want to put an end to their suffering, it is definitely the path to be walked. I'm fortunate to have 2 uncles that live in Thailand who will be showing us around. We will be in and around Chiang Mai.

I would suggest you go out to Thailand and spend some time at different Wats to get a feeling of which one you like. I think the most important thing is to find a good teacher that can guide you. Once you find which Wat you like then you can ask the Abbot for ordination. And yes some places will not ordain those who are older in age but I believe most temples will. As for giving up your belongings some people will give everything up and others will hold on to some things before they are completely sure that this is what they want. Best of luck to you. With Metta.
Buddho

Postby gavesako » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:09 pm

Why He became a monk, Bhante Mark Shares his story WOB 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7A2A_K6nW4

The first episode of our Mini Show "Words of The Buddha". We are joined with fully ordained Buddhist monk Bhante Mark from the Wat Napahpong temple in Bangkok Thailand to talk about Buddha and Buddhism.

The questions we cover in this video are:

- Why did you (Bhante Mark) become a Monk?
- Why Did you Choose this Temple?
- Who Was Buddha?
- How did Buddha Overcome Birth, Aging & Death?
- What are the 4 Noble Truths?
- How did Buddha Attain this Wisdom?

A nice video series.
:buddha2:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
gavesako

Previous

Return to Ordination and Monastic Life