england

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
befriend
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

england

Postby befriend » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:58 pm

can i ordain for like a decade or so in england? in an ajahn chah branch. is abhayagiri in america only for monks who want to ordain for life or is it possible to temporarily ordain there? thank you, metta, befriend

David N. Snyder
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: england

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:07 pm

I think you could ordain for a semi-long time of 10 years at Abhayagiri, but best to check with them directly to make sure.

Why only a decade? I ask, because you may not be able to put "Buddhist monk" for what you were doing for the past 10 years on your resume when applying for positions when you return to lay life; unless of course you are applying for some lay position at a Buddhist organization, IMS, Spirit Rock, etc.

Cittasanto
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:28 pm

befriend wrote:can i ordain for like a decade or so in england? in an ajahn chah branch. is abhayagiri in america only for monks who want to ordain for life or is it possible to temporarily ordain there? thank you, metta, befriend

so long as you are accepted when you disrobe is up to you really. although where you ordain may have more to do with Visa.... than anything else in some cases.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."

befriend
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Postby befriend » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:30 pm

do you need visa for england, i am from U.S.

cooran
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby cooran » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:42 pm

This might be of interest:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/americanservices/?p=3

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Return to “Ordination and Monastic Life”