YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Good monasteries to ordain for meditation? - Dhamma Wheel

Good monasteries to ordain for meditation?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
lewis454

Good monasteries to ordain for meditation?

Postby lewis454 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:16 pm

I hear that 'Wat Pah Nanachat does not have great meditation instruction. Are there any monasteries in SE Asia that are accessible to foreigners and have a strong focus on meditation?

Goofaholix

Re: Good monasteries to ordain for meditation?

Postby Goofaholix » Tue May 28, 2013 6:56 am

Sekha

Postby Sekha » Tue May 28, 2013 9:44 am

You will find strong focus on meditation in Pa Auk and its branches. The Vinaya is also excellent there.

The main drawback imo is that you are supposed to embrace the supremacy of the visuddhimagga and the abhidhamma.
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org

lewis454

Postby lewis454 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:47 pm

Lately I've been thinking a lot of going to SE Asia and meditating a bunch, maybe even becoming a monk. This afternoon I was in a high end shoe store in a busy shopping mall, and as I was trying on my first good pair of dress/business shoes, a Buddhist monk came and sat next to me. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but it was a really weird place for a Buddhist monk to be, especially since monks aren't particularly common where I live. It was almost like a choice between two worlds.

Really weirds me out !

householder

Postby householder » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:39 pm

Rob1980

Postby Rob1980 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:23 pm

If you are looking for a place just to meditate and have plenty of seclusion, you may want to look at Na Uyana, in Sri Lanka. There is a strong emphasis on meditation and it is a huge place where you get given your own Kuti and have plenty of time fto yourself. There is good support and probably the most conducive place for western laymen to meditate. There is also instructions if you want to take them(Pa-Auk Tradition), but as far as I am aware they are optional. www.nauyana.org

If you are thinking about ordaination, then I would perhaps look to ordain in the west, and get some foundation in monasticism before embarking to SE Asia for meditation.
Reviews of Meditation and Yoga retreats as well as Monasteries: https://www.reviewmyretreat.com/"

Anagarika

Postby Anagarika » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:28 pm

I can recommend without reservation ( having lived here before ) this Wat and the International Program : http://www.templeretreatthailand.com/

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:07 pm

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

melancholy

Postby melancholy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:39 pm

Anagarika

Postby Anagarika » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:28 pm

...still, there are good monks and good Vinaya abbots.

When I was a samanera in Chiang Mai, Thailand, I was walking in the temple courtyard with my 150 baht orange watch on. The abbot saw me out of a window, and sent one of his assistants to run after me and tell me to take off the watch. Now, I am only a careless farang samanera, but this was the kind of attention Ajahn Dr. Apisit paid to the training rules. True, we do not live in the time of the Buddha, but we do have Wats and abbots that adhere strictly to Vinaya, and I am glad for that.

A Rolex on a monk is like a pig with lipstick...should never happen.

melancholy

Postby melancholy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:04 pm

Anagarika

Postby Anagarika » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:07 pm

Bhikkhu_Jayasara

Postby Bhikkhu_Jayasara » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:31 am

how about Bhavana Society under Bhante G in West Virginia USA.. they are serious about their meditation there :). It is where I plan to go in as a resident with intent to renounce fairly soon.

I feel out of place a bit in that I seem to be a minority in not caring to ordain over seas. I feel the dhamma and monastics are needed here in the west. I hope to visit Thailand and Sri Lanka one day, but I have little desire to be a monastic living there.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bhikkhu Jayasāra - and

Chi

Postby Chi » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:25 am

Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.

melancholy

another "devadūta!?"

Postby melancholy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:21 pm

Power can make things disappear, so does me :D

Then the Blessed One said to Ven. Ananda, "Now, if it occurs to any of you — 'The teaching has lost its authority; we are without a Teacher' — do not view it in that way. Whatever Dhamma & Vinaya I have pointed out & formulated for you, that will be your Teacher when I am gone.

-Dīgha Nikāya 16, Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

gO tO wORK, gET mARRIED, hAVE sOME kIDS;
wATCH yOUR tV, fOLLOW fASHION, aCT nORMAL;
pAY yOUR tAXES, pAY yOUR bILLS, oBEY tHE lAW;
aND rEPEAT aFTER mE: "i aM fREE."

Return to “Ordination and Monastic Life”