Long stay for foreign Monk in thailland and neighboring coun

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.

Long stay for foreign Monk in thailland and neighboring coun

Postby Gabriel » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:46 pm

Hello every one! I seen in Thailand, foreign monk who seems to be in the country since many years, some even decades. So I was wondering if it is a exemption or if it is fairly easy to stay there for a long time as a monk? do they still fill up visa extension forms or if at some point they just disappear into the nature?
Also, I was wondering the same about neighboring country's like Burma in Sry lanka.
thank you in advance :anjali:
Metta
Gabriel

Re: Long stay for foreign Monk in thailland and neighboring

Postby Goofaholix » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:02 pm

It may have changed since but about 10 years ago once an newly ordained monk received his monk papers he could get a 1 year visa and would be expected to report to immigration every 3 months to prove he was still a monk.

Before that it was much easier, but men had been ordaining to get a long visa then disrobing and continuing to use the visa, so monks who have been in Thailand longer than that probably have better conditions.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby Gabriel » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:03 am

Thank you brother :)
Metta
Gabriel

Postby appicchato » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:22 am

There's plenty of information about this topic in old threads in this particular forum...check them out...
appicchato

Return to Ordination and Monastic Life