Places to ordain in Europe

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.

Places to ordain in Europe

Postby konchokzopa » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:20 pm

hi, are there any monasteries in Europe in the Theravada tradition? Thai, Sri lankan or Burmese preferably.
konchokzopa

Re: Places to ordain in Europe

Postby Mkoll » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:26 pm

This map might help: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8 ... 4f7da0c91c

If the link doesn't work, just search theravada monasteries europe and click on the first google maps link. At least that worked for me.

The only one I know of is Amaravati Buddhist Monastery in the UK which I believe is a "sister monastery" of Abhayagiri here in California. Ajahn Amaro was the abbot of Abhayagiri for a time.

:anjali:
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby culaavuso » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:30 pm

http://forestsangha.org/monasteries/

Forest Sangha Monasteries wrote:Amaravati Monastery - U.K.
Aruna Ratanagiri Monastery - U.K.
Cittaviveka Monastery - U.K.
Dhammapala Kloster - Switzerland
Forest Hermitage - U.K.
Hartridge Monastery - U.K.
Santacittarama Monastero - Italy
culaavuso

Postby Aloka » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:11 am

konchokzopa wrote:hi, are there any monasteries in Europe in the Theravada tradition? Thai, Sri lankan or Burmese preferably.

You could try using the Buddhanet World Buddhist Directory:

http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/search.php?keyword=&search=Search&country_id=62&province_id=0&tradition%5B%5D=theravada

Mkoll wrote:The only one I know of is Amaravati Buddhist Monastery in the UK which I believe is a "sister monastery" of Abhayagiri here in California. Ajahn Amaro was the abbot of Abhayagiri for a time.

Ajahn Amaro became abbot of Amaravati Monastery after Ajahn Sumedho retired.

Aloka

Postby gavesako » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:52 pm

Bear in mind that ordaining as a monk in the Ajahn Chah tradition in the West is not so easy and quick as it might be elsewhere particularly in Asia. Often there is a waiting list and you have to spend several months, maybe half a year, in a monastery before they get to know you and consider you a suitable candidate for 8-precept anagarika. Then another year of service as anagarika is expected. After that, the samanera "going forth" can be granted, but it all depends on the ability to learn and adapt to the new monastic environment. This is a more Western quality-based approach, as opposed to the traditional Asian merit-based approach (ordaining as a monk is considered to be meritorious, and therefore nobody should be barred from doing so).
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
gavesako

Return to Ordination and Monastic Life