[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Dhamma Wheel • View topic - Mailing Wat Pah Nanachat

Mailing Wat Pah Nanachat

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.

Mailing Wat Pah Nanachat

Postby PsychedelicSunSet » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:17 pm

I have a question to those who have sent mail to Wat Pah Nanachat. I sent a letter inquiring about going forth there about two months ago, and have yet to hear back. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with mailing them, and how long it takes for a response. I'm worried that perhaps the letter was lost in the mail, and I may need to resend it. I live in the North East of the US. Any information would be appreciated.

:anjali:
Metta
PsychedelicSunSet

Re: Mailing Wat Pah Nanachat

Postby James the Giant » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:59 am

They took a long time to reply to me too, maybe it was almost two months.
Perhaps send a follow-up reminder letter or postcard, since they must get a lot of people sending letters who are dreamers.

I'm going there on MONDAY! I'm quite excited, although at the thai monastery I'm staying at now, the monks here speak of Nanachat as if it's some kind of hyper strict regimented boot camp. :shock:
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Postby PsychedelicSunSet » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:42 am

James the Giant wrote:They took a long time to reply to me too, maybe it was almost two months.
Perhaps send a follow-up reminder letter or postcard, since they must get a lot of people sending letters who are dreamers.

I'm going there on MONDAY! I'm quite excited, although at the thai monastery I'm staying at now, the monks here speak of Nanachat as if it's some kind of hyper strict regimented boot camp. :shock:

You'll have to let me know what you think. Are you thinking of going forth there? I'm split between Wat Pah Nanachat, and Abhayagiri. And potentially Ajahn Jayanto's new monastery in NH, although I'll have to wait till there are monks there to check it out.

Metta
PsychedelicSunSet

Postby James the Giant » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:28 am

PsychedelicSunSet wrote:Are you thinking of going forth there?

Metta

No, I'm definitely ordaining in Australia with Ajahn Brahm. I'm just on a sort of anagarika holiday... 8 precepts and white clothes while travelling... I look like some kind of nut.
I'd go for ordaining locally in the USA, even though the waiting list is really long there. You can go to be a monk in Thailand later. At least for me, the combination of both adjusting to monastic life AND adjusting to Thai culture would have been a bit too much.

Best of luck to you! Oh, the other thing I remember someone telling me is that if they don't reply, just get your stuff together, get the long tourist visa, and just arrive. That seems to be an okay way of doing it if they've not replied.
Then,
saturated with joy,
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Postby Nicro » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:31 pm

You can just show up you don't need to mail them. When I went there I just showed up and so did the other visitors.
Nicro

Postby James the Giant » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:45 am

Nicro wrote:You can just show up you don't need to mail them. When I went there I just showed up and so did the other visitors.

I understand they're getting tired of spiritual backpackers Just Showing Up.
They specifically request overseas visitors, and those intending to stay for a longer time, to write to the guest monk.
Sure, you can just drift in, but be aware that's not the way they want visitors to do it.
Then,
saturated with joy,
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Postby PsychedelicSunSet » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:32 am

Nicro wrote:You can just show up you don't need to mail them. When I went there I just showed up and so did the other visitors.

It seems like something I wouldn't want to bank on. That's a lot of money to spend to potentially be told they have no room for me.

Metta
PsychedelicSunSet

Postby Sokehi » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:20 pm

I stayed there in 2002 for three months. Yes it took a while until I've received and answer, but it was a positive one. Great opportunity to increase upekkha :)
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
Sokehi

Postby piano piano » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:29 am

PsychedelicSunSet wrote:

It seems like something I wouldn't want to bank on. That's a lot of money to spend to potentially be told they have no room for me.

Metta

It is not a problem at all to just show up. I was there this morning, and a monk asked me if I wanted to stay. This is Asia where people are flexible. It even says on their website, you can just show up:
"If you do not receive a reply, you can assume that we have space available."
http://www.watpahnanachat.org/stay.php

It says also this which means it is really okay and expected that people just drop in:
"Also, Wat Pah Nanachat receives a lot of visitors around January 12th to 17th and around June 16th. Accommodations are likely to be full around these days, so drop-in guests who arrive around these dates might not be able to stay overnight."

Even in case ... a guest house in Ubon (10 miles from the Wat) does not cost much (8-11 US $ at 28 Ratchabuth Homestay in Ubon). Recommended for acclimatisation/time zone adjustment anyhow.
piano piano

Return to Ordination and Monastic Life