Can intention of renunciation ever be unwholesome?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
indian_buddhist

Re: Can intention of renunciation ever be unwholesome?

Postby indian_buddhist » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:54 am

Identification with my country is one of my fetters.

happylotus1

Postby happylotus1 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:12 pm

A householder or householder's son, hearing the Dhamma, gains conviction in the Tathāgata and reflects: 'Household life is confining, a dusty path. The life gone forth is like the open air. It is not easy living at home to practice the holy life totally perfect, totally pure, like a polished shell. What if I were to shave off my hair & beard, put on the ochre robes, and go forth from the household life into homelessness?

Virgo

Postby Virgo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:37 pm

happylotus1

Postby happylotus1 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:03 pm

A householder or householder's son, hearing the Dhamma, gains conviction in the Tathāgata and reflects: 'Household life is confining, a dusty path. The life gone forth is like the open air. It is not easy living at home to practice the holy life totally perfect, totally pure, like a polished shell. What if I were to shave off my hair & beard, put on the ochre robes, and go forth from the household life into homelessness?

Virgo

Postby Virgo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:29 pm

indian_buddhist

Postby indian_buddhist » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:31 am

Ok I dont know if I should be coming in....

The Dhamma is not a Dogma. You cannot pick and choose verses which suit your liking. The Dhamma has to be first understood in Totality and after understanding it in full it has to undergo a rigorous test of our own Discernment and analysis. Kalama Sutta comes to mind immediately.

Like I said ......what you consider being Wholesome (Becoming a Monk leaving behind your wife) just to follow the Path is not wholesome according to my discernment.

You can do what you wish ......Its just my view.

happylotus1

Postby happylotus1 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:37 pm

indian_buddhist

Postby indian_buddhist » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:18 pm

The statements that you make speaks of aversion towards mundane life. If you want to become a Monk simply because you have aversion to mundane life......you are going in the wrong direction.

Virgo

Postby Virgo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:44 pm

Sokehi

Postby Sokehi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:32 pm

Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

Virgo

Postby Virgo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:50 pm

Sokehi

Postby Sokehi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:52 pm

I say being disenchanted with the world is wholesome.

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

Virgo

Postby Virgo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:57 pm

Sokehi

Postby Sokehi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:59 pm

Virgo

Postby Virgo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:23 pm

indian_buddhist

Postby indian_buddhist » Thu May 01, 2014 7:13 am

happylotus1

Postby happylotus1 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:37 am

indian_buddhist

Postby indian_buddhist » Thu May 01, 2014 10:07 am

happylotus1

In the end you should do what makes you happy. If ordaining makes you happy then go ahead - It wont be unwholesome IMO if you reach your destination (i.e; various stages of enlightenment).

all the best to you.

happylotus1

Postby happylotus1 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:12 pm

Hello friends,

I am still strongly looking for ordination but the situation is not that favorable. Recently, I visited Na Uyana and stayed there for about 3 months. I went there with a wish to ordain but the parental insistence and unhappiness along with some visa issue made me revert back to worldly life. Staying in such a peaceful place, seeing and experiencing monk's life made me more attracted towards the monastic life. What I am feeling now is that the marriage I have done is the biggest obstacle to the path of monkhood. Because monastery needs a support letter from wife which is very difficult to get for me. Foolish me....

Now I am in a mindset that I will join monkhood without hurting anybody in mental level so i am looking to join monkhood when there is favorable situation. i.e. Parents and wife give permission happily....(Although there is very thin chance for that) There I met many wonderful friends around the world intending upon ordination and some of them ordained recently which is very inspiring to see (seeing lay men who were once lay friends converted into monks- members of Sangha).

Just sharing my experiences how difficult is to get ordain life. Previously in early age, I used to think that whatever I want I will do...But...for ordination it is not the case. I started thinking to ordain when I was 24 years and 10 years have already passed without realizing my inner desire to get fulfilled. Instead, new situations being created that lead to more hurdles and obstacles in the path of monkhood.

I have made a photo video of Na Uyana forest monastery and uploaded to youtube. Please watch it if you want to see what Na Uyana monastery looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNwz0T3 ... -D4eRxYu2b

Metta to all,

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:15 am

He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

Return to “Ordination and Monastic Life”