Bhikkhuni Ordination performed - by Ajahn Brahmavamso

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
gavesako

Re: Bhikkhuni Ordination performed - by Ajahn Brahmavamso

Post by gavesako »

If people want to talk about Schism in the Pali Vinaya, they could start with some suggestions here:

http://mulesika.googlepages.com/schismi ... arabstract" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

While I support the bhikkhuni ordination, I can't help but be dissapointed at the turn of events. Why didn't Ajahn Brahm wait until this matter was discussed at the WAM in December? Did Wat Pah Pong advise AB that this punitive action is a possible consequence? I'm aware that we do not know the whole story but it seems that the current situation could be avoided.

I also do not appreciate the way Sujato's blog (Nov 3rd entry) was written. Although he clearly supports AB, there was no need to portray the disagreeing monks as though they are all ignorant jerks especially in a public blog.

All in all, a major dissapointment. Even though I continue to support AB, Ajahn Sujato and the Bhikkhuni sangha, the joy in doing so is measurably less.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

gavesako wrote:If people want to talk about Schism in the Pali Vinaya, they could start with some suggestions here:

http://mulesika.googlepages.com/schismi ... arabstract" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where is the full paper? It looks quite good.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
cooran

Post by cooran »

pilgrim wrote:While I support the bhikkhuni ordination, I can't help but be dissapointed at the turn of events. Why didn't Ajahn Brahm wait until this matter was discussed at the WAM in December? Did Wat Pah Pong advise AB that this punitive action is a possible consequence? I'm aware that we do not know the whole story but it seems that the current situation could be avoided.

I also do not appreciate the way Sujato's blog (Nov 3rd entry) was written. Although he clearly supports AB, there was no need to portray the disagreeing monks as though they are all ignorant jerks especially in a public blog.

All in all, a major dissapointment. Even though I continue to support AB, Ajahn Sujato and the Bhikkhuni sangha, the joy in doing so is measurably less.
Hello pilgrim,

The whole point of the now cancelled Abbots meeting in Perth in December was to respectfully and fully discuss the question of Bhikkhuni Ordination ~ and the climate was very positive, all were working together with this as an aim.

Can you imagine if there had been chopping and changing in anything to do with the Vinaya over the centuries without deep consideration and respect for all cultural and dhammic perspectives?

Jumping the gun in this unfortunate way has nothing to do with' "We are the heroes, the wonderful Supporters of Bhikkhuni Ordination" ... those "others" are not."'

It carries with it for many of us, rather another connotation of 'bull-dozing', 'taking over' and 'attention seeking'.

May the rift be healed and this not cause further splitting and negativity.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Chris wrote: Jumping the gun in this unfortunate way has nothing to do with' "We are the heroes, the wonderful Supporters of Bhikkhuni Ordination" ... those "others" are not."'
Hi Chris,

So are you saying, it is your opinion, that they "jumped the gun" with the bhikkhuni ordinations last month?
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

The official statement from Wat Pah Pong is now on the Forest Sangha site as a PDF, along with comments from Wat Nanachat.
http://forestsangha.org/index.php?optio ... 1&Itemid=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The statement from Wat Nanachat concludes:
Time only will tell if the bhikkhuni ordination at Bodhinyana monastery in October 2009 will be seen as a key breakthrough in the acceptance of a Theravada bhikkhuni order, or as an overly hasty and confrontational move that alienated many of those it was intended to persuade.
One hopes, of course, that it will be the former rather than the latter...

Metta :heart:
Mike
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello David, Mike, all,

If it was on the Agenda for the December meeting, it ought to have been left until then. Thank you Mike for keeping us all abreast of developments in this matter.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

mikenz66 wrote: The statement from Wat Nanachat concludes:
Time only will tell if the bhikkhuni ordination at Bodhinyana monastery in October 2009 will be seen as a key breakthrough in the acceptance of a Theravada bhikkhuni order, or as an overly hasty and confrontational move that alienated many of those it was intended to persuade.
One hopes, of course, that it will be the former rather than the latter...
:thumbsup:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

bodhabill wrote:Hi David
David thank you letting all interested of Bhikkhu Bodhi's support to the Bhikkhuni Ordination http://www.supportbhikkhunis.org/ and thank you for your letter at the same site regarding the history of the Bhikkhuni ordinations
Hi Bill,

Thanks! Glad you liked it!

I hope the events in Australia prove fruitful and that it all turns out okay. It has been almost 1,000 years now since the bhikkhuni Order died out in Sri Lanka and I personally hope to see more bhikkhunis in the future.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Chris wrote: If it was on the Agenda for the December meeting, it ought to have been left until then. Thank you Mike for keeping us all abreast of developments in this matter.
Hi Chris,

Okay, that sounds pretty reasonable. But what if WPP still said no to bhikkhuni ordinations? I know it is just speculating on our part, so you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but if WPP still said no, would your opinion be to not have the ceremony (after December)?
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Dear Chris,
Chris wrote: If it was on the Agenda for the December meeting, it ought to have been left until then. Thank you Mike for keeping us all abreast of developments in this matter.
You're welcome. I know that these events are difficult for many, particularly those who have benefited from contact with some of the students (or students of students) of Ajahn Chah who are now caught up in this matter. I would urge everyone to consider the benefit that they have brought us, and to wish for a positive future, rather than engaging in speculation about the motives of the various the people involved, directly or peripherally.

Metta :heart:
Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

As a matter of Thai civil law it was - and maybe still is - against the law in Thailand to ordain women. If it is, it probably is necessary for a Thai organization to disassociate oneself from something illegal, even if done in another country.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

David N. Snyder wrote:
Hi Chris,

Okay, that sounds pretty reasonable. But what if WPP still said no to bhikkhuni ordinations? I know it is just speculating on our part, so you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but if WPP still said no, would your opinion be to not have the ceremony (after December)?

I don't think anybody ever expected that Wat Pah Pong would agree to the Bhikkhuni Ordination, it was simply going to be a meeting at which the Western senior monks (some of whom rarely see one another) would talk about the matter and the implications it has. The expectation would then have been for Ajahn Brahm to leave the Wat Pah Pong group unilaterally (although I cannot imagine him doing that, because he obviously thinks that he is acting in the correct way in line with the style of his teacher Ajahn Chah, who was also an independent-minded forest monk at odds with the official Sangha hierarchy). Doing it in that way would look nicer to the outside world, rather than being expelled.
:(
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Tilt,
tiltbillings wrote:As a matter of Thai civil law it was - and maybe still is - against the law in Thailand to ordain women. If it is, it probably is necessary for a Thai organization to disassociate oneself from something illegal, even if done in another country.
Yes, that is one of the points made in the Wat Pah Pong document (though I'm not clear if it is actually civil law):
The individuals concerned cannot be considered Theravada Bhikkhunis, as this status contradicts the law of the Mahatherasamakhom, the Sangha administration of the Theravada order in Thailand.
I think that it is worth reading all the statements carefully, and reflecting on the difficulties for all concerned.

Metta
Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Tilt,
tiltbillings wrote:As a matter of Thai civil law it was - and maybe still is - against the law in Thailand to ordain women. If it is, it probably is necessary for a Thai organization to disassociate oneself from something illegal, even if done in another country.
Yes, that is one of the points made in the Wat Pah Pong document (though I'm not clear if it is actually civil law):
The individuals concerned cannot be considered Theravada Bhikkhunis, as this status contradicts the law of the Mahatherasamakhom, the Sangha administration of the Theravada order in Thailand.
I think that it is worth reading all the statements carefully, and reflecting on the difficulties for all concerned.

Metta
Mike
Then, clearly, the ordination was not a well thoughtout action as to what the reaction to it would have to be from the parent organization as well as the Thai monastic governing body.