What is holding you back from ordaining?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.

Re: What is holding you back from ordaining?

Postby pilgrim » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:52 am

Not sure if I can handle the boredom. I enjoy visiting monasteries, but after a few hours there, I start thinking. "OK, its time to go".
pilgrim

Postby jcsuperstar » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:12 am

really? when i'm at temple i never want to leave...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby pilgrim » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:24 am

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Check out this web site: Going Forth

This is an old website of mine which I have neglected for too long. I've repaired the broken links. Feel free to inform me of other good links I should add to the collection.
pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:25 am

jcsuperstar wrote:really? when i'm at temple i never want to leave...

Maybe I need to stay long enough to break through the restlessness. :juggling:
pilgrim

Postby effort » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:42 am

good for you all, but here i'm in trouble with my instincts, and always thinking that there is a lot of time when you ordained how long you can read scriptures, how many hours in the day you can study dhamma and meditate, and as monk what you will do the rest of the time, but first i have to deal with my sexual desire and food ( during retreat that damn McDonald sign become vivid! after some time i have to turn that into my nimitta :thinking: :stirthepot: :pig: ).
effort

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:30 am

Hi Effort,
is that really your nimita?
or were you just standing there salivating? :jumping: :jumping:
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby BlackBird » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:53 am

effort wrote:and as monk what you will do the rest of the time

Dhamma practice 18/7/365 :)

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby Clueless Git » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:02 pm

ando wrote:Sometimes when I think about ordaining or even a life of solitude, I think about this:

Am I running towards something?
Or am I running away from something?

I can empathise with that.

I think, that untill I attain my goal of total world domination, that if I ordained I would never be sure if the 'real' world had not just been a bit too big for me and that I had maybe chickened out.

Big nods to all those who put their obligations, particularly to their children, ahead of fulfilling their own personal dream btw .. :bow:
Clueless Git

Postby meindzai » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:04 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

meindzai wrote:Pretty much sealed that last week too since I got engaged. :)

Congratulations! (I think? :tongue: - it feels like a funny sub-forum in which to say that...)

lol. I know, right? I had debated just making a general post about it in the lounge but it even felt wierd to announce it as if I was saying "Welp. Guess I'll be sticking around samsara a little while since I'm getting married soon." But I actually believe I'll make a better husband than monk. Having contemplated a celibate life before getting into a relationship, I can't even bare the thought of being anything less than completely loyal, faithful, and respectful of my partner. Marriage may be samsara but it doesn't have to be hell. :)

-M
meindzai

Postby meindzai » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:09 pm

pilgrim wrote:
jcsuperstar wrote:really? when i'm at temple i never want to leave...

Maybe I need to stay long enough to break through the restlessness. :juggling:

I actually empathize with you pilgrim, though or me it's a "grass is greener" scenario. When I'm at the monastery for awhile I start to miss home, and when I go home I start to wish I was at a monastery. Guess I am like the foolish, inexperienced mountain cow.

-M
meindzai

Postby acinteyyo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:29 pm

What is holding you back from ordaining?

I'm incapable of breaking up with my girlfriend.
Sometimes it makes me sad, when I lose restraint, I'm really loving her but I know that it won't last.
I'm kind of caught between two stools.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Pubbe cāhaṃ bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ. (M.22)
Both formerly, monks, and now, it is just suffering that I make known and the ending of suffering.
Pathabyā ekarajjena, saggassa gamanena vā sabbalokādhipaccena, sotāpattiphalaṃ varaṃ. (Dhp 178)
Sole dominion over the earth, going to heaven or lordship over all worlds: the fruit of stream-entry excels them.

:anjali:
acinteyyo

Postby jcsuperstar » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:13 pm

meindzai wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

meindzai wrote:Pretty much sealed that last week too since I got engaged. :)

Congratulations! (I think? :tongue: - it feels like a funny sub-forum in which to say that...)

lol. I know, right? I had debated just making a general post about it in the lounge but it even felt wierd to announce it as if I was saying "Welp. Guess I'll be sticking around samsara a little while since I'm getting married soon." But I actually believe I'll make a better husband than monk. Having contemplated a celibate life before getting into a relationship, I can't even bare the thought of being anything less than completely loyal, faithful, and respectful of my partner. Marriage may be samsara but it doesn't have to be hell. :)

-M

kinda what i did.. btw congrats!
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby pilgrim » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:16 am

acinteyyo wrote:I'm incapable of breaking up with my girlfriend.
Sometimes it makes me sad, when I lose restraint, I'm really loving her but I know that it won't last.

LOL...reminds me of the Ajahn Chah story where the young monk kept pining for his ex-girlfriend. So Ajahn advised him to keep a little momento of her to pull out whenever he felt that way, a bottle of her faeces! ... .Caught between two stools..LOL
pilgrim

Postby acinteyyo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:05 am

pilgrim wrote:
acinteyyo wrote:I'm incapable of breaking up with my girlfriend.

LOL...reminds me of the Ajahn Chah story where the young monk kept pining for his ex-girlfriend. So Ajahn advised him to keep a little momento of her to pull out whenever he felt that way, a bottle of her faeces! ... .Caught between two stools..LOL

lol... :toilet: but unfortunately that wouldn't help, her faeces can't upset me that much. breaking up with my girlfriend means to break up with the whole life we built up together. I feel that it's my duty or that I've got some kind of commitment... rather that I'm responsible for her, since we built up our lives with each other based on our relationship. I dunno... think it's quite selfish. But I know that the responsibility I feel is also an excuse for myself. However sooner or later I'm going to leave the householders life, it's not a question about whether or not, but when.
best wishes, acinteyyo
Pubbe cāhaṃ bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ. (M.22)
Both formerly, monks, and now, it is just suffering that I make known and the ending of suffering.
Pathabyā ekarajjena, saggassa gamanena vā sabbalokādhipaccena, sotāpattiphalaṃ varaṃ. (Dhp 178)
Sole dominion over the earth, going to heaven or lordship over all worlds: the fruit of stream-entry excels them.

acinteyyo

Postby Vardali » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:38 am

What is holding me back is household obligations (I am the breadwinner here, too), but also my opinion that at the stage of the path I am on, I would just swap "layperson"-dukkha with "monastic"-dukkha.

I feel fortunate that - other than my obligations to earn our roof over the head and food on the table - I have all freedom in the world to practice.

So it is up to make the most of it (which I am not fully utilize yet) wherever I am.
And I am just not convinced that the monastic way is the only path to renunciation (I would be wondering of how much of monastic life is actually avoidance?)

Vardali

Postby Kokoro » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:57 pm

It is my hope to ordain some day, but before I do that I must settle my debts, financial and otherwise, and if this life should end before I am able to ordain, then I hope to be able to do so in the next life as early on as possible once any remaining debts from this life if left unsettled upon its end, are satisfied.

Kokoro

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:06 pm

Greetings Vardali,

Vardali wrote:And I am just not convinced that the monastic way is the only path to renunciation (I would be wondering of how much of monastic life is actually avoidance?)

It's an interesting perception, that.

I'm convinced that its anything but avoidance, for the reason that monastic life provides suitable conditions for mindfulness, concentration and analysis of dhammas. When one can dedicate themselves to more deeply examining the world (and remember that in the Buddha's parlance "the world", is nothing but the six senses or five aggregates of experience) they are actually coming face-to-face, deeply and directly with the world. On the other hand, true avoidance would be a lack of mindfulness. Avoidance would be shifting bodily positions without consciously realising one is doing so to alleviate some physical discomfort and so on... lack of mindfulness is a common trait in everyday society.

One's motivations for the monastic life may be attributable to avoidance, but the monastic way itself is certainly not one of avoidance - in fact, it is very much the opposite.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Wind » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:43 am

retrofuturist wrote:
One's motivations for the monastic life may be attributable to avoidance, but the monastic way itself is certainly not one of avoidance - in fact, it is very much the opposite.

Metta,
Retro. :)

I agree Retro. When one decides to leave the household life to monastic, he essentially decided to face his craving through the six sense base head on so he can conquer them and cleanse his mind of defilements toward liberation. Monks are not avoiding anything, they are taking up the fight against ignorance, although some people might ordain because they are running away from something. I guess one have to understand their own motive.
Wind

Postby Vardali » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:53 pm

Retro, I am sure that monastic life allows you a more stringent focus on all aspects of practise. That's deffo a plus :)

Perhaps my opinion - and it is nothing more than that ;) - is biased from the impression I have gotten from my Christian background, but it appears to me that a key component of monastic life is to minimize "temptation". And while I'm aware that there is much more to practise, I hope the following example illustrates my personal unreadiness with the monastic approach.

I mean, a whole lot of practise is aiming at guarding the sense-doors. One way obviously is by strengthening the "internal" guards and level of awareness. The other is by minimizing exposure. That to me, this latter part feels a bit like a cop-out, like removing options to ensure that one doesn't pick the "wrong" choice. :) By doing so, you may start feeling confident that you have mastered some restraint, even though this is just based on lack of opportunity. I want to be sure I can overcome craving and clinging while it is a very real "threat", or I cannot feel I have safely mastered this challenge.

If your path in that respect is clear and you do not have such reservations, good for you :) I, myself, just want to make sure I'm not falling into a "the grass is greener on the othe side" of practise of an -perhaps - idealised perception of renunciate lifestyle that leads to a illusionary sense of "safety" due more to lack of options/choice rather than proper safeguarding mind and sense-doors.

This is just part of it, though, but I am afraid I cannot make my personal concern much clearer than that :)

with metta,
V.
Vardali

Postby BlackBird » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:58 pm

Vardali wrote:I mean, a whole lot of practise is aiming at guarding the sense-doors. One way obviously is by strengthening the "internal" guards and level of awareness. The other is by minimizing exposure. That to me, this latter part feels a bit like a cop-out, like removing options to ensure that one doesn't pick the "wrong" choice. :

How is it a cop out? I understanding your explanation, but I don't understand why that's a bad thing...

metta
Jack :heart:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

PreviousNext

Return to Ordination and Monastic Life