Becoming Ajahn Brahm's disciple

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Lombardi4

Becoming Ajahn Brahm's disciple

Post by Lombardi4 »

I want to be a monk one day, and since Ajahn Brahm is my favourite teacher, I wonder whether there is any possibility of me being his disciple.

Does anyone know whether he takes in disciples? I haven't contacted him yet, and on his website it says he doesn't use e-mail for contacts.

And btw, I'm not talking about the near future, but probably in about 3-4-5 years.

Thanks!
David2

Re: Becoming Ajahn Brahm's disciple

Post by David2 »

I don't know. But if I were you and seriously interested, I would probably write him a letter. :)
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

Hello Stefan,
Seeking ordination at Bodhinyana Monastery
Men from outside of Australia are welcome to seek ordination at Bodhinyana Monastery to train under Ajahn Brahm, but we cannot guarantee that this will always be possible. According to Australian visa regulations Bodhinyana Monastery must give precedence to Australian candidates. Moreover, the visa regulations are themselves quite onerous, and it is impossible to know beforehand whether any particular application will be successful.

Any prospective candidate for ordination should first of all enter Australia on a Visitor Visa, preferably a 12-month visa. Such visas are available without sponsorship from Bodhinyana Monastery. If the candidate wishes to extend his stay beyond those 12 months, he should approach Ajahn Brahm and ask whether the Monastery is prepared to sponsor a temporary residence visa for him. If there is sufficient accommodation available, then the monastery may be willing to support a candidate,if the circumstances are right.
http://www.bodhinyana.org.au/visiting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Contact

Tel: +61 (0)8 9525 2420
Fax: +61 (0)8 9525 3420
We do not use e-mail for contacts
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Stefan;

I am curious. Ordination has much to offer. It also comes at a price. How do you feel about giving up lovers, girlfriends and wives? How do you feel about giving up the power to earn money, the power to pay your own bills and make many of your decisions?
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Steffan- I know of a few lay-community leaders who developed a student-teacher relationship with monastics. Perhaps that would be an alternative path for you?
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
David2 wrote:I don't know. But if I were you and seriously interested, I would probably write him a letter. :)
That's a good idea... especially seeing as Stefan is looking 3-5 years into the future, yet... so the 'urgency' of e-mail communication is not required.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Hi all,

@ David2: Thanks friend, that is what I am going to do.

@ Moggalana: Thanks mate, that was very useful.

@ Jhana4: As nice as some of these things are, they cannot be compared with the possibility of ending suffering and rebirth for good. :smile:

@ Monkey Mind: Thanks, I'll look into that possibility.

@ retro: Yep, that's right!

Metta
shjohnk

Post by shjohnk »

Hi Stefan,

Another thing to consider is that some of AB's followers (Aussies: I don't mean Allan Border :tongue: )have become abbots of monasteries too, and they may accept disciples too (Eg: Ajahn Khemavaro in New South wales, Australia). The waiting list at these monasteries might not be so long, and you'd be benefitting from AB's teachings indirectly.

I admire your noble ambition, Stefan!

John
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

As an alternative: have you looked at the forest monasteries in the UK?
I know that Cittaviveka doesn't really have a waiting list (and hopefully for me will never have ;))
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
morning mist

Post by morning mist »

Ajahn Brahm is fine, but steer clear of a certain disciples. Sujato goes on and on about democracy and yet he censored people and deleted their comments for no reason on his blog. A real hypocrite. He doesn't allow everyone to express themselves.
with metta,
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Stefan,
So you're thinking of coming to Australia? How cool!
You know, if you don't come and visit me down here in the island state, I will send my minions after you!
Seriously, I think your aspiration to study under the guidance of Ajahn Brahm is a good one and I encourage you to follow up on the suggestion to write him a letter.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..