Buddhist Institutions

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
santa100

Buddhist Institutions

Post by santa100 »

Hi, I'm just kind of curious about whether there're Buddhist Institutions in the States for lay people who want to become bhikkhus or bhikkhunis in the Theravada tradition. Sort of like the Seminary systems of the Christian Church. While there're many Theravada temples in the US, a lay person is still a bit confused on how and where to start for that big leap forward. Does he/she need to go to Srilanka, or Thailand, or Burma... to enroll in a school there, or there're already institutions here in the States? Right now I haven't gotten the intention to do that, but it'd be great to have some info. for you never know when that true calling in life will push you toward that wholesome direction...
Ben

Re: Buddhist Institutions

Post by Ben »

Greetings santa100

I suggest you check out some of the threads in the ordination forum. You might find some info there.
I would be inclined to approach individual monasteries and see if they can assist you by providing information.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
santa100

Re: Buddhist Institutions

Post by santa100 »

I'll check out the Ordination forum. THanks.