Ordination in Thailand Info & Advice

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
forestmat

Re: Ordination in Thailand Info & Advice

Post by forestmat »

Hi Nathan and welcome to Thailand!

I have just read your most recent post and would comment as follows...

1. Take it one step at a time.

2. Don't rush to choose a Wat in which to ordain.

3. Maybe go and visit Venerable Appicchato in Kanchanaburi and listen to his wise words of wisdom from 30+ years of living here.

4. Make the decisions by yourself, and don't get swept up by your new found Thai friends enthusiasm to see you ordain.

5. Slow down...this is Thailand!

6. If you ordain at a small village temple, it may be that the Abbot won't have a clue about Visa extensions or paperwork that is required (never having
had a foreigner ordain before)

7. Drop the hotel car, in fact move out of the hotel altogether. Go and see Thailand for yourself, and by yourself - it is a far more enriching experience than the clinical security of a BKK hotel. After all, if you ordain, you will be on your own.

8. I wish you all the very best on your journey, and you can always pm me if you want some more advice or help.

My experience of Thailand (in total 12 years now) is much the same as Venerable Appicchato's, and I laugh when he writes his posts because
his experiences match mine so closely! (Especially when it comes to the Thai-Farang examples he quotes).

With Metta

forestmat
Hartridge Buddhist Monastery, Devon, England
nathan

Post by nathan »

forestmat wrote:Hi Nathan and welcome to Thailand!

I have just read your most recent post and would comment as follows...

1. Take it one step at a time.
Yes, of course.
2. Don't rush to choose a Wat in which to ordain.
Yes, again, of course.
3. Maybe go and visit Venerable Appicchato in Kanchanaburi and listen to his wise words of wisdom from 30+ years of living here.
I hope to do so soon, thank you.
4. Make the decisions by yourself, and don't get swept up by your new found Thai friends enthusiasm to see you ordain.
Again, yes.
5. Slow down...this is Thailand!
In this heat, we all are a little slower. :smile:
6. If you ordain at a small village temple, it may be that the Abbot won't have a clue about Visa extensions or paperwork that is required (never having
had a foreigner ordain before)
Not to worry.
7. Drop the hotel car, in fact move out of the hotel altogether. Go and see Thailand for yourself, and by yourself - it is a far more enriching experience than the clinical security of a BKK hotel. After all, if you ordain, you will be on your own.
Thank you for your advice.
8. I wish you all the very best on your journey, and you can always pm me if you want some more advice or help.
Thank you again, I will be in touch, when time permits. I do have many activities underway, and again, thank you.
My experience of Thailand (in total 12 years now) is much the same as Venerable Appicchato's, and I laugh when he writes his posts because
his experiences match mine so closely! (Especially when it comes to the Thai-Farang examples he quotes).
So far, not my experience, but this is, of course limited.
With Metta
Yes, also, with metta & upekkha.
forestmat
All the best
take care.
:anjali:
Khop Kun Krup
nathan
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Update on the BuddhaMetta village project in Loei province, NE Thailand:

(There will be an organized trip to forest monasteries in this area during Jan-Feb 2011.)

http://www.rightview.org/Buddhametta/Bu ... taHome.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations