Higher power

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Monkey Mind

Re: Higher power

Post by Monkey Mind »

Someone else mentioned Smart Recovery, here is the website- http://www.smartrecovery.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There might be meetings in your local area, and they have daily on-line meetings. I find the mental tools of SMART very compatible with Dhamma.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
onaquest

Post by onaquest »

Can't stay outta this one. Been in and around 12 step recovery for nearly 26 years, and the "as you understand him" just comfirmed the validity of my spiritual practice which was Buddhist, didn't realize it was Buddhist until I got a Buddhist sponsor about 4 years ago. Actually, if you look at the history of AA, Bill was studying practices of meditation and "eastern thought" when he and Dr. Bob were formulating the steps. Granted the Big Book and 12 & 12 reek of catholicism, but then again look at the history at the time. How else would you talk about sprituality in the US
in the 30's without using Judeo-Christian language if not for anything else but as a common ground for communication.
Another fantastic read that you might find very helpful is "The Zen of Recovery". (or something like that.
Keep Coming back
:namaste:
onaquest

Post by onaquest »

might wanna try this site too http://www.buddhistrecovery.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

It seems worth noting, that if you deal with the problem you try to solve by drinking, your urge to drink will be dealt with, too.
mirco

Post by mirco »

Dear Greg,
greggorious wrote:However I don't know what to do about a higher power.
Higher Power starts in Step Three. Take your time. Work the steps one after another. Patience pays off. Maybe try NA. ("powerless over addiction")
greggorious wrote:In AA literature it's more than obvious they are talking about God.
There is talk about a God of one's own understanding. Nothing determined.

For me, for example, at the moment my Higher Power consists of the faith(from Step Two) in the Steps and the fellowship plus the one/it I am talking, praying to, which can't be explained with words. My decision, no understanding but my own, nothing I had to take over. No christian, jewish, hindu, muslim or wathever understanding of god has got anything to do with that. It's a spiritual program on it's own.

Be well, :-)
Last edited by mirco on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mpcahn

Post by mpcahn »

The Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha can be seen as a higher power, and going for refuge can be seen as committing oneself to a higher power.

Here's a good book on the act of going for refuge:

http://dhammatalks.org/Archive/Writings ... 120116.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
is the mind us? Is it ours? Slash on down! Whatever is going to be destroyed, let it be destroyed. We feel no regrets. We want only the truth. (Ajahn Maha Boowa)
mirco

Post by mirco »

mpcahn wrote:The Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha can be seen as a higher power, and going for refuge can be seen as committing oneself to a higher power.
Well, yes, that definitely are things that will help to restore sanity (as it says in Step Two.)
Magoo

Post by Magoo »

HI all. I enjoyed this thread as it sits very relevant for me. Due to a change in personnel circumstances, I have recently found myself sharing a house with and old time friend of mine. A person I used to drink and party with, amongst other things. We lost contact for a few years and due to the change in circumstances (marriage separation) he firstly welcomed me to stay with him and now we share another house together.

In the time we lost contact he became an alcoholic and has now been in AA for 18 months. In that time I have become very spiritual and a practicing Buddhist. We have enjoyed our re-united time together greatly, as we are both so much more honest, true, kind and HAPPY. Our discussions have been stimulating and we both have learned a lot from each other about life and our current journey's.

To cut a long story short, he isnt religious either and me being Buddhist do not believe in a Creator God. Howver he has his concept of what he determines to be his 'Higher Power' and although I do not neccesarily need to identify with one, I would say that mine is my True Nature, My Essence, My Buddha Nature beyond my ego. I think my ego (the doer) is my 'Lower Power' and my Buddha Nature (the knower) is my Higher Power.

This is my 50 cents worth anyway.

Thanks and Metta to all!

Eamonn
chg2winter

Post by chg2winter »

A key line to me is "God as I understand God", that really helped me to accept the blocks that I put up (as a none believer in God :) )

I am a Buddhist and 23 years clean via NA. No conflict.

Warmly,
Dan
greggorious

Post by greggorious »

Magoo, from my understanding there is no Buddha nature in Theravada.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah
Magoo

Post by Magoo »

greggorious wrote:Magoo, from my understanding there is no Buddha nature in Theravada.
I have read this also Greggorious but not exactly sure as the term does get used quite a lot. What I understand is that the 'Knower' (can be used as Buddha Nature but this is also a conditioned phenomena). It probably can also depend on what the wods Buddha Nature mean to a person....what the use is intended to describe. As I am yet enlightened, I use this term to be when I operate more out of the present moment, more objectively to what the moment presents, rather than from my deluded mind with pre-conceived opinions, views and beliefs, which as I am finding out every day are often very wrong. Acting spontaniously and trusting this is giving me better outcomes. Thus acting in this way I compare to my 'Higher Power' rather than my thinking, doing mind!

With Metta
Eamonn