Simple Diet please?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
gabrielles

Simple Diet please?

Post by gabrielles »

I have a hard time figuring out what to eat while I'm out traveling the cities, or in general...
Is there simple foods / diet I can eat while i go to the temple during the day? (that maybe correspond with the buddhist ways??)
I never spend money on food, i always use food stamps, so money is not an issue, however I need to survive on 175 dollars a month.

Suggestions for someone who needs to stay healthy?
also - i am working on weight loss, to get rid of my obesity for my small stature of 5 foot.
Help !!
food and health is not my speicality!
Alobha

Re: Simple Diet please?

Post by Alobha »

gabrielles wrote:I have a hard time figuring out what to eat while I'm out traveling the cities, or in general...
Is there simple foods / diet I can eat while i go to the temple during the day? (that maybe correspond with the buddhist ways??)
I never spend money on food, i always use food stamps, so money is not an issue, however I need to survive on 175 dollars a month.

Suggestions for someone who needs to stay healthy?
also - i am working on weight loss, to get rid of my obesity for my small stature of 5 foot.
Help !!
food and health is not my speicality!
Hey Gabrielles,
I had similar issue some time ago, take a look here.

Since you asked specifically for buddhist ways:
I found Bhikku Pesalas link very helpful, the Donapaka Sutta is a good read, too.
Eat more mindfully, you will get a better feeling when enough food has been taken, you will chew more and digest the food better and there is less of a chance to overeat.
Eating and food can thus be used as part of insight meditation. :smile:

Alternatively (or in addition): you may try to count calories for a while and try to stay below 2000kcal. This may give you a better idea on the energyintake of food products. the calories of fruits, vegetables and almost any food product can be looked up with a fast google search too.
As for loosing weight, some physical activity should accompany a change in eating behaviour, i.e. perhapy you can travel more by foot?
What do you mean by simple? Fruits and vegetables are pretty simple in my book. Paprika, carrots, stem cabbage, cucumber... see which vegetables are in season and cheap to get and you get the variety :) Same goes for fruits. Melon, bananas, apples,...
However, if you visit temples, why don't you just eat there? Usually much more food is offered than the monks can eat in a day and the temples are usually happy to share the food with visitors.

That's just some general advice. Are there any specific problems with food choices or eating behaviour you would like to address?

Best wishes,
Alobha
gabrielles

Post by gabrielles »

I love being active.
Thanks so much.

& Sometimes it is hard, the family that has fed me when I had nothing - they rarely have healthy foods and things. they eat pretty fatty to be honest. And Im so used to it, i find it hard not to over-eat when I am there.
and even shopping for groceries - i have a hard time affording enough food to last me a month.
However, if i only buy food when I need it i should be better off.
I do not have a refrigerator after all.

I travel by bike usually. But i dont mind walking.
Eccedustin

Post by Eccedustin »

What do you do for a living?
The universe is awake, conscious and aware of itself! The universe is awake, conscious and aware of itself because we are awake, conscious and aware of ourselves. We are the not just in the universe, we are the universe.
gabrielles

Post by gabrielles »

Well i was working at a grocery store.
But I left.

For various reasons.
And for weight loss.

Also - because I don't have any feelings for money, so i dont like to work to be honest. Especially for people who don't care about me personally, and that was a problem for me. One day I hope to find work that is more private and closed. (Behind the scenes)

I don't believe women should have to work anyway.I'm horrible i know.

I've been living fine since 2010 this way. And i'll be fine no matter what happens
I get shunned for my choices.
But who's happy? ME?

I also choose not to work for spiritual reasons.
Ben

Post by Ben »

gabrielles wrote:I also choose not to work for spiritual reasons.
I would encourage you to re-examine this, Gabrielle. Unless you are ordained than there is nothing spiritual about choosing not to work if you don't have the financial capacity to support yourself. In fact, it can be argued that by relying on others to support you (either your relatives or your society) you are in breach of fundamental precepts of Buddhism. And without the basis sila your spiritual progress will be non-existent.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Eccedustin

Post by Eccedustin »

gabrielles wrote:Well i was working at a grocery store.
But I left.

For various reasons.
And for weight loss.

Also - because I don't have any feelings for money, so i dont like to work to be honest. Especially for people who don't care about me personally, and that was a problem for me. One day I hope to find work that is more private and closed. (Behind the scenes)

I don't believe women should have to work anyway.I'm horrible i know.

I've been living fine since 2010 this way. And i'll be fine no matter what happens
I get shunned for my choices.
But who's happy? ME?

I also choose not to work for spiritual reasons.

Unless you are a genuine Buddhist monk, Working is always a good idea. Just choose a good job that does no harm. I would also argue that food-stamps can't be considered a form of "offerings" as was the case for Monks in the past since Food-Stamps are a tax, which people are forced to pay. So it is quite different. It isn't based on generosity but rather welfare.
The universe is awake, conscious and aware of itself! The universe is awake, conscious and aware of itself because we are awake, conscious and aware of ourselves. We are the not just in the universe, we are the universe.
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

I guess Gabrielles will open a seperate thread about it when she is interested in advice on her working-situation.
Back to topic:
& Sometimes it is hard, the family that has fed me when I had nothing - they rarely have healthy foods and things. they eat pretty fatty to be honest. And Im so used to it, i find it hard not to over-eat when I am there.
I know that from my family. When there's all the unhealthy stuff around, it's easy to fall prey to habits and the desire for tastes. Mindful eating is a good way to overcome these desires, but avoiding these situations is a skillful means, too.

and even shopping for groceries - i have a hard time affording enough food to last me a month.
However, if i only buy food when I need it i should be better off.
You should eat every day. Since it sounds like you are very active already, just try to avoid fast food and sugary drinks. They both don't contain any ingredients which are suitable for your health and well-being. Before you buy food, ask yourself, whether buying this food is suitable for your health and well-being or not. Ask yourself whether it is skillful or unskillful to buy this or that. This helps me at times.

And if just restraining from actions is getting you stressed, bring your thoughts to the fruits of non-greed and how beautiful a mental quality like non-greed is. If you are tempted to follow your desires and greed for unhealthy food, consider that you could alternatively feed your quality of non-greed. bring up how wonderful the quality of non-greed is, because contentness arises when craving ceases. ;)
I do not have a refrigerator after all.
Do you have access to any device for cooking food?

Best wishes,
Alobha
gabrielles

Post by gabrielles »

Thanks everyone.
I get food stamps - but only use them when i absolutely have to.
I usually get offered food though. I never usually buy it.
I often find myself purchasing water with foodstamps though.

I def am not working anytime soon . But thanks for the advice, but i refuse to be a part of this horrible society. :/
befriend

Post by befriend »

working is good for the soul. benamin franking said when the men had nothing to do all day and did not work they were glibb and irritable. but when they did work they were merry. theres nothing like the feeling after a hard days work, where you helped someone else and working physical work makes the body spirit mind feel good. working is also good at building patience determination, compassion, tons of good qualities.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Eccedustin

Post by Eccedustin »

gabrielles wrote:Thanks everyone.
I get food stamps - but only use them when i absolutely have to.
I usually get offered food though. I never usually buy it.
I often find myself purchasing water with foodstamps though.

I def am not working anytime soon . But thanks for the advice, but i refuse to be a part of this horrible society. :/
Why is it that you think that not working will remove you from being part of society? The people who give you food work and earn money to buy it, and the food-stamps come from tax dollars from people working. So, either way, you are not making a difference by not working. The only difference that would be made would be to get a job that helps society, not living off of society without contributing.

Best..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Good point by Eccedustin. If one is receiving food stamps, then one is certainly a part of this society. And someone pays for those food stamps; i.e., working people who pay taxes.

No matter what we receive either we paid for it or someone else did. It is how society works. Not enjoying or wanting to work is not a good reason to ordain, imo. The wholesome desire (chandha) to ordain should be with a genuine interest in practicing the Dhamma and instructing others in the Dhamma (which is also a work; a livelihood).
Eccedustin

Post by Eccedustin »

Hello again...
Buddha did not want to isolate himself from society, nor did he want to think that he was above society. Siddhartha took a leave of society in order to achieve enlightenment, however once achieving his goal he quickly made it a point to integrate himself back into society in order to affect society. Siddhartha had a great impact on society because he did it from the inside. He got down and dirty and rolled his sleeves up and did hard work by amassing followers and teaching his dhamma. He went from house to house and taught the people, he did this often for people who gave him food. This was, in a way, his occupation. People would offer him food and, in return, he would have dinner with them and share with them his teachings. It was a quid pro quo sort of a deal. He, of course, shared his teachings to everyone even if they could not offer food also. Siddhartha the Buddha was never someone who would have accepted something that was somehow a "tax", as food-stamps are today. The Buddha believed that this defeated the whole purpose, because offerings are supposed to be offered. That is the whole point behind offerings. That is the most important aspect.

Best...
gabrielles

Post by gabrielles »

I didn't choose to live in america.
My mom's vagina did. Just saying.

I follow my heart when it comes to inner happiness.
Just because I am born into a world with a bunch of rules, jobs , business, and non-equality,, doesn't mean i have to make myself suffer like everyone else does.
Whens the last time you find someone who loooves going to work 24/7?
I'm living proof that working for the "society" does not pay off.
They government and the world created money, i am not in need of it.

THe only reason i had to get food stamps is because of this society.
Not my fault

I can choose to invest pointless money to empty material objects (includes homes, belongings, electronic s and more)

THEY HAVE NO VALUE. In essense they are there for no reason.
This is how I feel about money.
That is why my body won't literally let me heart move me to work work work in a world where i work till i cant walk no more. I'm having a great lifestyle . a easy and spiritually rewarding LIFESTYLE . That none of you have felt apparently?

I meditated and received holy energies via the OM MANE PADME HUM of avalokiteshvara. The hand of avalokiteshvara touched my back and filled my heart with wisdom! That experience among others with various other buddhas (i am tantric!!)

have changed my life, and filled in a void. The answer to life, and how to be happy.
poto

Post by poto »

gabrielles wrote: I def am not working anytime soon . But thanks for the advice, but i refuse to be a part of this horrible society. :/
Our society of today is much improved over what it was even a century ago. Today even the poorest among us in the developed world live better than kings did a few centuries ago. However, if you truly wish to not be a part of it, then I suggest you go on retreat. Take with you a sack of rice and beans and go into the wilderness. There you will not be bothered by society.
gabrielles wrote:I didn't choose to live in america.
My mom's vagina did. Just saying.
You should be happy about this. You were blessed with such good karma as not to be born in the gutter of an undeveloped nation, starving and impoverished. Yet, you take this fortunate birth of yours for granted and perhaps even view it as a burden... that is saddening.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis