Vegan diet - and one meal a day ?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Re: Vegan diet - and one meal a day ?

Postby alan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:04 pm

I don't get the Vegan thing, but if you do it, consider taking Krill Oil supplements. Excellent source of many good things your body needs to function at peak efficiency.
Worried about killing critters? Don't be. In the time it has taken you to read this sentence, a couple million of them have been born.
In the next few seconds, they've been scooped up by giant whales somewhere in the cold seas of the Arctic. No need to ponder Kamma here.

Seriously--research it.
alan

Postby Alex123 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:11 pm

purple planet wrote:I used to be vegan now i am in a "break" of 3 months in which i ate meat - and now i want to go back to being vegan
- at the time i eat in the morning cereal with milk and for lunch vegetables with meat and then i dont eat until next morning -

My question is how to eat vegan and once or twice a day and still get all nutritional vitamins and minerals and also proteins and carbs ? and how do you do it with only one meal a day ?

Why go to such extreme as eating once per day, and vegan? You are not a monk, and whatever was the reason for monks, does not apply to you.

As for food: Eat lots of nuts and seeds (soak them for 24 hours or more), and don't forget to take coconut oil and various supplements (B12, multivitamins, omega-3s).
"dust to dust...."
Alex123

Postby manas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:38 pm

marc108 wrote:
purple planet wrote:My question is how to eat vegan and once or twice a day and still get all nutritional vitamins and minerals and also proteins and carbs ? and how do you do it with only one meal a day ?

impossible

Hi/marc
respectfully/my/friend
thats/not/true!
if/one/is/knowledgeable
about/what/nutrients/are/in/what/foods
it/is/definitely/possible
although/it/does/require
much/care/and/effort

the/only/instance/where/i/would/agree
where/it/would/be/insufficient/imo
would/be/if/ones/occupation
was/as/a/labourer
doing/physically/taxing/work/all/day
in/that/case/one/meal/a/day
wouldnt/be/enough/afaics.

metta
:anjali:
manas

Postby alan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:39 pm

manas:
Why the weird writing? It serves no purpose, and just may turn off people who actually care about this subject.

Express yourself properly, please.
alan

Postby Roland » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:03 pm

alan wrote:manas:
Why the weird writing? It serves no purpose, and just may turn off people who actually care about this subject.

Keyboard Malfunction
"No tree becomes rooted and sturdy unless many a wind assails it. For by its very tossing it tightens its grip and plants its roots more securely; the fragile trees are those that have grown in a sunny valley."

--Seneca the Younger (57 BCE- 65 AD)
Roland

Postby manas » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:41 pm

Roland wrote:
alan wrote:manas:

Keyboard
Malfunction

Thanks.Roland
for.being.both.observant.and.thoughtful

I.ought.to.be.able
to.fix.this.keyboard.problem.today
but.in.the.meantime
i.hope.that.full.stops
are.less.irritating.than.slashes

kind.regards
:anjali:
manas

Postby Roland » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:10 pm

It does make it a little more readable, I think.

But either way doesn't bother me!

:buddha2:
"No tree becomes rooted and sturdy unless many a wind assails it. For by its very tossing it tightens its grip and plants its roots more securely; the fragile trees are those that have grown in a sunny valley."

--Seneca the Younger (57 BCE- 65 AD)
Roland

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:22 pm

gavesako wrote:He comes out every now and then to take the food when there is no one around.

So he's breaking the Pācittiya rule for eating food that has not been offered? That sounds odd for a strict forest monk. Maybe something was lost in translation?
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Previous

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness