Jogging

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
ground

Re: Jogging

Post by ground »

Easy to get addicted. Watch out. :sage:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

ground wrote:Easy to get addicted. Watch out.
Maybe it would be better to watch in.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Addicted to what exactly...?

:sage:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Endorphins would be the common answer, but most likely it would be the anandamides.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

OK, thanks... I don't know that I even get those, so not much to be addicted to there. :ugeek:

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

OK, thanks... I don't know that I even get those, so not much to be addicted to there. :ugeek:

Metta,
Do you get a bit of a buzz or blissed-out feeling after a good run?

ground

Post by ground »

Maybe what tilt said, but probably more than that (general metabolism change?). I had to stop due to knee issues and it caused me kind of a "cold turkey" ... terrible. Of course individual inclinations may have impact. Don't know.
ground

Post by ground »

also I experienced a tendency that jogging and its effects actually undermined meditative practices. Possibly due to the bodily effects on mental processes. Mental meditative capacity tended to decrease with increasing jogging activity. So one may have to find one's middle way in this area too, the welcomed psycho-physiological effects however may counter this midddle way which may be interpreted as "addiction". :sage:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
tiltbillings wrote:Do you get a bit of a buzz or blissed-out feeling after a good run?
Not really... but here's what I do like about it...

I enjoy getting out there in the open weather, and I enjoy the loka of it... much like how you might enjoy a vacation because it's a break from the routine of daily tasks and activities that you habitually engage with when you're at home or at work. The 'triggers' for those tasks are removed when I'm not physically there. It's a different experience. It serves as bookends to segment daily experience.

It's taking the mind into a place where it can relax, where it's permitted to be disconnected from any engagement with society, and where its goals can be freeform and unrestrained, where the mind's work is on monitoring biomechanical matters, rather than analytical or social matters. I come back feeling I've actually done something worthwhile. Unlike ground, I actually find the act of jogging a form of meditation in itself, moreso than something that interferes with it.

There's a sense of freedom that I can go where I like, and I'm not dependent on anyone else, nor do I have any obligations to anyone else. I enjoy getting in the rhythm and the constancy of it and that I when I find the rhythm, I don't really seem to get weary for at least the first 10km. It's the sense that I can actually go somewhere, just me and myself, without reliance on motors, petrol, trains or buses. It's a physical manifestation of the potential simplicity of life. It's harmless. It breaks down perceptions of what is close, and what is far - what is possible, and what is not possible. Just the fact that I'm physically moving offsets the habitual tendency towards inertia and inaction - it's a "why not?" rather than a "why?".

I enjoy the speed, in that it's slow enough to see what's going on, but also fast enough that the scenery moves progressively along. I like that depending on which way I go I can see anything from rural farm scenes, to suburbia, to rivers, to coastlines, and different unexpected encounters with flora and fauna. I like that it feels 'real' (as opposed to looking through the windows of a car), organic, I've got the air in my face, and that if I start at home, explore, and then come back home, there's almost a certain primitive 'tribal' satisfaction with that journey. I can get answers to essentially pointless questions, like "what's over that hill?", "what's around that corner?". I can go somewhere for no reason other than simply to go there.

If I'm wearing my MP3 player, I also enjoy listening to tunes in combination with the above factors.

I enjoy the sense of comeraderie with other people out doing physical exercise, approaching from the opposite direction - walking, jogging, cycling or whatever - there's a quick nod, or a hi - but no subsequent obligation to engage in conversation because they've already come and gone.

If that constitutes endorphins, anandamides or metabolic change, then maybe it is... I don't know... but it doesn't feel like a "buzz" per se ~ it feels to me more like freedom, challenge and achievement. It certainly doesn't feel like anything I should be afraid of being addicted to. It feels liberating. Actually, it's probably why Forrest Gump ran across America. :lol:

I don't run if I have any joint soreness, at which point I would ride instead, where many of the same factors I noted above would still apply.

Metta,
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

I was totally addicted to the "high" from running and still experience "cravings" and "withdrawals."
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

You could spice up the run and develop neglected muscles with some light parkour basics.
GraemeR

Jogging

Post by GraemeR »

Mal wrote:Does the Buddha recommend jogging? Why not walk? I jogged/ran for twenty years and stopped when my knees became quite painful most days. One colleague who didn't stop had a knee replacement, another a hip replacement. So I have great doubts about it being a wonderful exercise! These days my exercise is walking to the shops and back, which (just) gives me the minimum needed to keep fit, according to UK NHS guidelines. If you *must* jog, I'd start very slowly, barely above walking pace for 10 minutes three times a week, and build up to Santa's minimum - 30min three times a week, over three months. If knees or hips hurt, don't run through it: as an alternative walk, or if even that hurts cycle or swim. In meditation novices are often told to ignore pain from adopting the half lotus, DO NOT APPLY THAT ADVICE TO JOGGING. The pain from stretching in the half lotus is not the same as the impact pain from jogging, where you are actually wearing down the joint.
Here here :clap:

Running on roads gives repetitious impacts to knees, ankles hips etc, personally having suffered damage at 51 I would not recommend it. :toilet:

Graham
Murkve

Post by Murkve »

The correct and least impactful way to run is by striking the ground with the ball of the foot, rather than the heel. This minimizes impact on the knee, and instead transfers that force to the calf muscle, which acts much like a spring.

However, it takes a while to switch over to this style of running. Barefoot or lightly shod and no more than 5 minutes a session in the beginning, and gradually increase the time. Your calves and other stabilizer muscles need time to recover from years of atrophy.
[i]"Change alone is eternal, perpetual, immortal."[/i] - Arthur Schopenhauer
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Woohoo! First ever fun run (10km) complete...

I think I did it in just under an hour, although I haven't seen the times yet.

Metta,
Ben

Post by Ben »

Well done!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..