Keeping rice fresh

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
m0rl0ck

Keeping rice fresh

Post by m0rl0ck »

Anyone know of any tricks for keeping rice fresh? Salt, hot pepper, oil? It seems that when i make a rice cooker full it starts smelling musty after only a couple of days in the fridge and its down so low now that greens sometimes get a little frosty.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
corrine

Re: Keeping rice fresh

Post by corrine »

I consume a lot of brown rice so when I cook a large pot full, I put individual portions in glass dishes and into the freezer. Then I take one out each day. Keeps forever. Is this what you meant?

corrine
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

corrine wrote:I consume a lot of brown rice so when I cook a large pot full, I put individual portions in glass dishes and into the freezer. Then I take one out each day. Keeps forever. Is this what you meant?

corrine
Yeah i thought of freezing it, but was afraid it would dry out or turn to mush when reheated. I think ill try that, thanks.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

just be sure to cool it down quickly.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

m0rl0ck wrote:Anyone know of any tricks for keeping rice fresh? Salt, hot pepper, oil? It seems that when i make a rice cooker full it starts smelling musty after only a couple of days in the fridge and its down so low now that greens sometimes get a little frosty.
Yes, three or four days is about the limit for cooked rice in the fridge. I've never tried freezing it - I would rather take the time to cook smaller quantities, more often.
:stirthepot:

:namaste:
Kim
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Kim O'Hara wrote:...take the time to cook smaller quantities, more often.
:thumbsup:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Or if you're in a rush, try cous-cous.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

I'd go with cooking smaller portions, too. As far as I know, monasteries tend to freeze rice when they get more rice for the daily meal offered than needed.

However, you could also try making sushi-rice or oni-giri. You basically just add rice-vinegar, sugar and salt to the rice for that (there are many recipes online). That should conservate the rice for a bit longer, too.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Metta,
Yep.
Or Quinoa.
Cous-cous is quickest. Pasta (if you want to go that way) is next quickest.
Quinoa takes about the same time as white rice, so both are still much quicker than brown rice.

:namaste:
Kim
Ben

Post by Ben »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Metta,
Or Quinoa!

Actually, mouldy rice is excellent for sourdough starter.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Frozen rice is excellent for fried rice.
I put rice in to frezer bags and put in the freezer. When I need it take straight out of freezer put in the microvave for 45 seconds (do not add water).
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Goob

Post by Goob »

It may seem counterintuitive but I find that whenever I make rice in a steel pot and leave it on the stove with the lid on it stays fresh and soft for several days. I also find that when I put it the fridge covered with plastic it goes hard and unfit for human consumption within a day or two (I'm really picky about my rice).
marc108

Post by marc108 »

one of the best ways to assure food stays fresh is to get a refrigerator thermometer and make sure it stays under 40F at all times on the top shelf.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

This reminds me to start fermenting again, thanks!
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

The freezer suggestion seems to work. I was thinking that freezing it would have bad effects on its texture but it seems to do fine. Thanks :)