Does fasting develop new neurons?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Does fasting develop new neurons?

Postby SarathW » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:42 am

Michael Mosley discuss how fasting help to create new neurons. Very interestin documentary.

Eat, fast and live longer with Michael Mosley.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2363162206
SarathW

Re: Does fasting develop new neurons?

Postby Ben » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:38 pm

Yes, I was watching the documentary on TV tonight.
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby SarathW » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:45 pm

I was trying to fast for many years without much success. Technically I have never fast in my life.
Now I am more convinced and reason to do it. I have no doubt that fasting will improve my health and perhaps intelligence.
This is the reason I like science :idea: which gives an extra boost to my faith in Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha.
SarathW

Postby Ben » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:35 am

I think its an interesting idea. There seems to be other health benefits of intermittant fasting which are also encouraging.
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben
Site Admin

Postby cooran » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:47 am

Just watched the video. Very interesting - probably worth a try.

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Ben » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:11 am

cooran wrote:Just watched the video. Very interesting - probably worth a try.

With metta
Chris

Ah yes, but I still reserve the right to eat icecream while watching "The Biggest Loser"!!

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby corrine » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:12 pm

Just a personal observation. Way back when, in my twenties when I was doing a macrobiotic diet, I did a thirty day water and juice fast. After the fast I developed several issues that the doc said were a result of the fast. My metabolism sank like a rock - from then I cannot eat more than 1200 calories a day without gaining weight - doc said the fast made my metabolism super efficient because it had gone into starvation mode. And I developed some severe digestive issues that lasted for a very long time. I might add that I did the fast for health, not spiritual, reasons. I would not do it again. I did not see any positive results, from a health perspective. I have done shorter fasts for spiritual reasons, without obvious health problems resulting.

That is just what happened to me. I eat carefully and healthy now. I am lacto vegetarian, emphasis on organic fruits and veg and whole grains. I eat three times a day as I tend to develop very low blood sugar and faint if I go more than a certain number of hours without eating. Maybe because I am old.

corrine :namaste:
corrine

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness