21-days no-carb no-sugar challenge

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
kizma

21-days no-carb no-sugar challenge

Post by kizma »

I've flirted with 2 meals and 1 meal a day a few times before and I always run into the same problem: sugar gets really, really tempting.
Most times, I went back to bad habits just because I ended up snacking (before noon) on either cookies, ice cream or chocolate.
I've experimented enough with nutrition and diet to know that if there is one thing I should change in my dietary habits, it's the intake of sugar.

Starting today I will experiment for 21-days the complete removal of sugar and simple carbohydrates from my diet.

I find that having a fixed duration for such a challenge makes it much more easy to accomplish (compared to "quitting forever")

Benefits will include:
Less attachment to foodstuff, more clarity, more energy, less sloth and torpor when meditating (!!), better sleep.

Some tricks to help me in the first few days:
  • Have a bunch of fruits on hand in case of severe craving
    Introduce more vegetables to each meal
    Spend more time outside walking
I am sharing this with you so you may feel inspired to try this out with me.

It can be much easier when we progress together!
Ben

Re: 21-days no-carb no-sugar challenge

Post by Ben »

Fruit is full of simple sugars.
So if you are eating fruit, your diet is far from being simple carb, sugar-free.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
kizma

Post by kizma »

Good point, Ben. :)

Simple carbs with the exception of fruit.
But somehow I think you knew what I meant.
Ben

Post by Ben »

kizma wrote:Good point, Ben. :)

Simple carbs with the exception of fruit.
But somehow I think you knew what I meant.
I knew what you meant. If you want to go on a simple carbohydrate free diet then you should also remove fruit from your diet.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Kizma,

Good luck! I think the body gets used to certain amounts of sugar, so it is good to cut back. I have even heard of children who, since they have not become used to very sweet foods, find fruits like sloe berries edible and not too astringent.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

I think the South Beach Diet offers a balanced approach to breaking sugar cravings. Unsure if you are vegetarian or not, but its no problem on South Beach.
binocular

Post by binocular »

kizma wrote:I've flirted with 2 meals and 1 meal a day a few times before and I always run into the same problem: sugar gets really, really tempting.
Most times, I went back to bad habits just because I ended up snacking (before noon) on either cookies, ice cream or chocolate.
I've experimented enough with nutrition and diet to know that if there is one thing I should change in my dietary habits, it's the intake of sugar.

Starting today I will experiment for 21-days the complete removal of sugar and simple carbohydrates from my diet.
In my experience and insight, the actual problem are processed commercial foods, notably cookies, ice cream, chocolate and pasta.

Foods that I myself cook from the basic ingredients, even if they do contain sugar, arouse far less craving and other problems in me than store-bought ones. After having eaten commercial ready-made foods of any kind, but especially cookies, ice cream, chocolate and pasta, I feel very tired and hungry.
So I think that the most I can do to improve one's diet, is to cook all the food myself, from the basic ingredients.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
kizma

Post by kizma »

Foods that I myself cook from the basic ingredients, even if they do contain sugar, arouse far less craving and other problems in me than store-bought ones. After having eaten commercial ready-made foods of any kind, but especially cookies, ice cream, chocolate and pasta, I feel very tired and hungry.
So I think that the most I can do to improve one's diet, is to cook all the food myself, from the basic ingredients.
I've had the same experience.

Usually when I craved sugar(sweets, dessert, etc.) I would eat insane amounts of it. I don't have this problem with any other type of food.
It's been affecting my health for a while now.

As for bread and pasta, I've noticed that it alters my mood in a very similar way. It also increases the craving for sugar.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings kizma,

To help me put this in content, what kind of exercise do you typically do?

I ask mainly because I find that what I eat (or more specifically, the number of meals a day) is primarily driven by how much or how little exercise I do, and the thought of no-carbs when I am physically active is pretty uninviting.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
kizma

Post by kizma »

Hi Retro,

Sorry, I realize that the title is misleading.
What I stopped eating for 21 days are these two categories:
1- Food that contain sweeteners such as white/brown sugar, honey, molasses, etc.
2- Food that contain wheat, corn, potatoes and white rice
To help me put this in content, what kind of exercise do you typically do?
I usually go out for long walks in the park or at the mountain and do some stretching.

On most days I'll have brown/wild rice with tempeh, spinach(or bok choy), sauerkraut, wakame, and a tahini+miso sauce.
I believe this kind of meal to be suitable for any kind of physical exercice.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Would love to see some photos of those aforementioned meals!

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
kizma

Post by kizma »

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

:thumbsup:
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Looks pretty starchy. Its filling you up until the next time you had planned to eat?