I'm often sleepy! What i doing?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
lotus flower

I'm often sleepy! What i doing?

Post by lotus flower »

Dear forum members,

I have a lot of sleppy mornings. I usually wake up at 5 or 6 o'clock. sometimes 6:30. i woke up after 10-15 minutes i sit and start meditate.
but I often can't meditate if i don't drink a few coffee. i don't know why. my coffee isn't very strong and i drink only a few. and don't drink everyday. when i don't drink coffee i can't meditate always, only i can sometimes. or a little more than sometimes.
i had a long time (almost a year) when i didn't drank coffee. in that time i could meditate without coffee. but in the present i often can't meditate if i don't drink a few coffee. i wouldn't drink coffee. i wouldn't like if i would addict the coffee again...
i can meditate at mornings and late afternoons because i usually eat at 11:00 or 12:00 and after it i'm usually sleepy a little.
how can i always become awake without coffee? do you know a technique? Yoga? or anything?
We found the teaching of the Buddha. Be grateful for it... We can meditate... Be grateful for it... We know that this universe is the samsara. Be grateful for it... We have THE CHANCE TO ATTAIN NIBBANA. Be grateful for it... :buddha1: :buddha2:
Jhana4

Re: I'm often sleepy! What i doing?

Post by Jhana4 »

The best way to become awake without coffee is to reduce your coffee intake.

You care having problems because your body has become used to coffee and it needs it to wake up.

Begin drinking less coffee until you get down to a single cup a day, then start drinking a cup of green tea instead. Once you reach that point, taking a shower and eating first can help make a morning meditation more productive.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
lotus flower

Post by lotus flower »

Jhana4 wrote:The best way to become awake without coffee is to reduce your coffee intake.

You care having problems because your body has become used to coffee and it needs it to wake up.

Begin drinking less coffee until you get down to a single cup a day, then start drinking a cup of green tea instead. Once you reach that point, taking a shower and eating first can help make a morning meditation more productive.
green tea? it looks like a good idea. :twothumbsup: thanks! i will try it.
We found the teaching of the Buddha. Be grateful for it... We can meditate... Be grateful for it... We know that this universe is the samsara. Be grateful for it... We have THE CHANCE TO ATTAIN NIBBANA. Be grateful for it... :buddha1: :buddha2:
mirco

Post by mirco »

What about mate (tea) ? :)
Ben

Post by Ben »

You could try going to bed earlier.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Good suggestion, but if someone has come to be dependent on a lot of caffiene, they might be able to get up, but their mind will not be clear until they get some. I have more than a few friends who are smug about their quart a day coffee habits.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

I found that my caffeine consumption was causing a lot of problems relating to sleepiness and mood. It may be that you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms due to a high tolerance to caffeine. You might want to try cutting out all caffeine - not just coffee but tea, fizzy drinks and perhaps even chocolate (although I didn't give this up). This resets your caffeine tolerance levels after a few weeks and you can then reintroduce lower amounts of caffeine slowly, so as to keep tolerance + withdrawal symptoms low. Even light withdrawal symptoms are an unpleasant experience, so you could always slowly reduce instead of going cold turkey.

It could be that you need to get more sleep, however. It might also be the sloth and torpor hindrance/boredom.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
lotus flower

Post by lotus flower »

Ben wrote:You could try going to bed earlier.
kind regards,

Ben
Dear Ben, maybe it is a good idea. I often go to bed at late times 23:30 or 00:30 but sometimes 22:30. i will try your advice soon.
Coyote wrote:
It could be that you need to get more sleep, however. It might also be the sloth and torpor hindrance/boredom.
more sleep? i slept many times 8 hour almost every day but it wasn't a good way because it didn't help to me. often I NEEDED SLEEP 9 HOURS without coffee and when i slept 9 hours i could meditate! it is a fun! :rolleye: i haven't enough time to sleep 9 hours everyday...
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

I have heard, though I don't know the science behind this, that sleeping for too long (9-11 hours) can actually make you tired and is not good for you. Try 7/7.5 hours and see how your body responds.
Also on the topic of sleep, Ben's recommendation is good as getting to bed early and waking up early is better for you than staying in late and waking up late. Caffeine messes up your sleep patters (as does artificial light) and it may be that you are crashing when you come off the caffeine.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
lotus flower

Post by lotus flower »

Coyote wrote:I have heard, though I don't know the science behind this, that sleeping for too long (9-11 hours) can actually make you tired and is not good for you. Try 7/7.5 hours and see how your body responds.
Also on the topic of sleep, Ben's recommendation is good as getting to bed early and waking up early is better for you than staying in late and waking up late. Caffeine messes up your sleep patters (as does artificial light) and it may be that you are crashing when you come off the caffeine.
ok i try it. thank you everybody! :hug: :jumping: maybe it will be the good way. and go to bed earlier, get up earlier.
lotus flower

Post by lotus flower »

and i will practice yoga. :)
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Sleep need varies from person to person. Some people need as much as nine hours sleep to feel rested. Allergies can also make you feel tired all the time and especially in the morning, along with sore joints.

BB
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
mirco

Post by mirco »

lotus flower wrote:how can i always become awake without coffee? do you know a technique? Yoga? or anything?
Yoga is great.

Without going into details:

A cup of coffee in the morning can be replaced by a Sun Salutation.

I do so. My body thanks me.

Regards,
:-)
Arali

Post by Arali »

Are you eating well? Are you male or female?
lotus flower

Post by lotus flower »

mirco wrote:
lotus flower wrote:how can i always become awake without coffee? do you know a technique? Yoga? or anything?
Yoga is great.

Without going into details:

A cup of coffee in the morning can be replaced by a Sun Salutation.

I do so. My body thanks me.

Regards,
:-)
Dear Micro! you have the truth. Surya Namaskara is good, i heard about it from an other forum also. i will try it soon.
Arali wrote:Are you eating well? Are you male or female?

Dear Arali!
Yes i think my eating is OK. I usually eat vegetables and sweets. sometimes fruits. but i eat meals seldom.
and i eat twice a day because i have to learn 4 or 5 hours every day. i don't eat a lot of food, only what i need.
I'm female.
i usually have move a little and walk a few. i'm too lazy! :) maybe it is a problem.