Backpain...

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Myotai

Backpain...

Post by Myotai »

Hello everyone,

Anyone else suffer from Backpain?

Not specific to sitting I mean.

My back goes into 'spasm' at times making walking extremely painful for about a week. Taking Anti-Inflamatories is the only thing that helps.

Also I have weak muscles in the middle of my back thats exacerbated by picking up my baby son at the moment....

...its such a pain!

If you do, how do you manage?

M...
Pax

Re: Backpain...

Post by Pax »

I had endless back pain and spasms for years, then a fella I know recommended a book to me, changed my life... but I'm very open to the mind body connection. Gave the book to my VERY right wing closed minded brother, and it worked for him too. Basically it allows us to unlearn the responses we have to our "bad backs".

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Back-Pain ... 0446557684
dagon

Post by dagon »

Have you seen a doctor, have you had scans, do you have a diagnosis ???

Do you understand how your back functions as part of the skeletal system – most don’t and that is part of the problem. If you don’t have an understanding of the bio- mechanics I would really suggest that you learn and then apply what you learn to your everyday life.

Back pain is pain experienced in the back – sounds simple; but what is going wrong to cause the problem in the first place. From the limited information in your post I would suggest that you may already have damage but learning how your body works may help you avoid further damage as well as manage the effects of any damaged already incurred.
Have a look at a picture of the skeleton from the side

http://www.anatomywarehouse.com/skeleta ... t-a-102609

The question to ask yourself is this – is the back designed to take all of the loads when bending and lifting. The spine is effectively a thin bendy twig, what is supposed to take most of the load is muscles and in particular the Abs which fill the space at the front. When you have appropriate development of the abs the effect of bending on the spine results in the spine being in tension rather that one side being in tension and the other in compression. Where this latter situation occurs then the result is often slipped and ruptured disks … problems causing pain

Where you have a reasonable development of the Abs then they take the compression and the spine is equally in tension at the front and rear of the spine – so disks are not squeezed out of place and they is less likely hood of compression fractures to the vertebrae.

This link will provide you with a lot of the information that you need

http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/ ... -back-pain

If you have any particular questions please ask.

Just a caution to you - the anti-inflammatory can cause their own problems in the long term. Just because they can be bought off the shelf does not make their long term or excessive use safe. Ask my first wife – well you could except she has gone on to her next birth. She was using then for acute and chronic back pain.

metta
paul
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

My back was in pretty bad shape from a couple of car accidents. Yoga worked for me. Be gentle and you might also want to check with your doctor. It takes some patience, maybe some months of regular practice.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

A few years ago when I was having back pain my doctor refered me for physiotherapy ( I'm allergic to anti-inflammatory drugs.) I learned to do some gentle daily exercises which work very well and now I rarely have any problems.

Perhaps you could investigate that possiblity yourself, Myotai

Myotai

Post by Myotai »

thanks all,

I eventually spoke to my GP who prescribed NAPROXEN...they rock!!! :woohoo:

Still aware of the weakness Ihave in a part opf my back but the pain was almost gone in two days!

Take care...
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Handy to hear you have something that masks the weakness - is that enough for you or do you want to strengthen it?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Mayotai
Back pain is very common among old persons.
I suffer from back pain but I mange it by exercise.
Taking pain killers may aggravate the problem.
See whether you can use pain as your meditation object!
As Dagon said look for the root cause of the problem as well.
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
citrmey

Post by citrmey »

I agree with people above, but I also would like to emphasize the importance of little exercises throughout the day. Even just 10 push-ups or some stretching counts. I never walk or sit straight either, so it's a great exercise on willpower as well to realize it as often as possible, and fix my sitting. If you really need painkillers for it, then paying a visit to an orthopedic doctor or clinics to be sure and deal with the cause of your problem that could be several things from overweight to weak bones.
Weakfocus

Post by Weakfocus »

Old topic, hope this helps someone in future....

I had issue with persistent lower back pain. I tried therapy and rest but it was no good. Finally after some reading I found that my issue was lack of flexibility and weak core. So I was able to cure my lower back pain by:

1. Doing stretching for gluteal muscles and hamstrings.
  2. Strength training with deadlift and front squats. I read the book Starting Strength and watched some videos on youtube to learn correct technique.

Now my back pain is completely gone.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

I would advocate strengthening as well. Until recently I thought the source of my back pain was too much exertion and not enough relaxation. Turns out I was attempting to relax while exerting. This is the source of my back pain. Now that I consciously align my muscles and manage to incorporate them into most of my work activities, as if I were constantly using my lower back muscles to bare the brunt of my upper body weight, I come home with a happy back. Otherwise, my back is lax, my upper body weight is baring down on my lower vertibrate, and I'm tight, have pain, etc. WORK THOSE MUSCLES! Lift with your back (or at least incorporate those sore muscles into the lift - it'll stretch and strengthen).

This crosses over into seated meditation. "... He straightens his back ..." lifting upper body weight off the thigh joints, allowing one to sit for longer periods.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Myotai

Post by Myotai »

...thanks for your replies. Not too bad at the moment, will bear everything in mind for when it inevitabely 'goes' again!

M...