Vitamins/Supplementation on Long Retreats

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Vitamins/Supplementation on Long Retreats

Postby Chi » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:17 am

Hello Wheelies!

I am going on an indefinite retreat (tomorrow) at Panditarama Forest Monastery in Myanmar.

Things happen to the body/mind on retreats because I (generally) eat less, eat healthier, lose body weight, move less, sit more, move more slowly, close my eyes, don't look arround, etc. Overall, it's all wonderful, but sometimes I feel I get out of balance with certain nutrients/vitamins, but I am not sure which ones.

Sometimes in the past, I have had a "let everything go" or "leave everything behind" mentality about bringing vitamins/supplements to retreat. Other times, I have had a "I need to feel good" attitude and I have brought Vitamin C, Vitamin B Complex, green powders, and/or spirulina.

I am wondering about your philosophies on supplements and if you bring supplements on your retreats? If so, which ones?

Be Happy!
Chi
Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.
Chi

Re: Vitamins/Supplementation on Long Retreats

Postby Ben » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:28 am

Generally, I don't take anything with me unless it is medication or vitamin b12.
Put away any thoughts about having to feel good. You don't need to feel good and in fact not feeling good while on retreat has its benefits.
All the best with your retreat.
Kind regards,
Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness