Insomnia

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
zamotcr

Insomnia

Post by zamotcr »

Hello!

When I was younger, I always slept very late at night, like 3:00 am, of course I woke very late too, aprox at 11:00 am.
The hardest part started when my job changed, now I have to be in the office at 6:00 am, so, sleeping at 3:00 am is a no-no. This was a year and a half ago and I still can't adjust to this schedule.
Even when I'm very tired and wanting to sleep, I can't. When I lie in bed, my mind start trolling me, I start thinking in all things I did in the day or things I forgot weeks ago :rofl:

I don't like the idea of taking drugs to sleep, the doctor gave me Chlorphenamine, but it's too strong, it's a drug and I can't wake up in the morning with this lol

A friend recommended me Melatonin, I started with 2 pills of 3 mg each one, nothing. I tried with 9 mg and gosh, I slept well, very well, I even dream and can wake up in the morning.

I rather prefer Melatonin than Chlorphenamine, but at the end I don't want any pills or drugs. SO I want to ask you, what do you recommend me to sleep well again, are there any good tea or infusion, herbs, exercises, some kind of meditation or whatever that can help me sleep well?

:zzz:
binocular

Re: Insomnia

Post by binocular »

zamotcr wrote:Even when I'm very tired and wanting to sleep, I can't. When I lie in bed, my mind start trolling me, I start thinking in all things I did in the day or things I forgot weeks ago
Some personal organization and planning could take care of that.
For example, David Allen's approach - http://www.davidco.com/, and a handy variation thereof - http://gtd-r.blogspot.com/
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

not ingesting caffeine or sugar before bedtime is a major help for me along with some meditation and deep breathing exercises.

heres a link i googled too http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/ ... ore-sleep/

best of luck
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
zamotcr

Post by zamotcr »

kitztack wrote:not ingesting caffeine or sugar before bedtime is a major help for me along with some meditation and deep breathing exercises.

heres a link i googled too http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/ ... ore-sleep/

best of luck
Yes. My last coffee cup is at 4:00 pm. My only hot drink at night is camomile tea :toast:

I should try more meditation and become a better meditator.
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

bananas contain melatonin as well as potassium and magnesium which help to relax muscles.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Sanjay PS

Post by Sanjay PS »

If you are not allergic to Milk or cottage cheese , that helps to have in moderation in the night .If its possible , its best to be away from the e gadgets an hour or two before you call it a night , the light emitted from the screens interferes with our sleep patterns .

The best is to gradually establish ourselves in meditating as much as possible . Metta bhavana after meditating ( spreading loving kindness ) to all beings , naturally gets the mind to a state of rest and ease , with sleep coming in naturally .Just keep working on it , dont give in to the meds .The very best .

sanjay
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I find that having a cup of cocoa made with semi-skimmed hot milk before bedtime gets me to sleep without any problems.

:coffee:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Zam
I am not an expert in this subject but this is how I approach the problem.
• I am glad that you do not take drugs or pills, it is not defiantly the solution
• I think an adult need only four hours sleep.
• See the positive side, now you have more time for meditation. I use this time for breath meditation (laying down)
• Do not force to sleep. Keep the body in a comfortable position and do not move. Do breath meditation.
• Avoid evening meal or take it very early.
• Just enjoy the night, there is nobody to bother you.
• Do not sleep in the day time.
• Avoid all un wanted stimulations such as TV, music, friends, internet, parties, food etc.
. Understand the boredom :zzz:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

SarathW wrote:

• See the positive side, now you have more time for meditation. I use this time for breath meditation (laying down)
• Do not force to sleep. Keep the body in a comfortable position and do not move. Do breath meditation.
• Avoid evening meal or take it very early.
• Just enjoy the night, there is nobody to bother you.
• Do not sleep in the day time.
• Avoid all un wanted stimulations such as TV, music, friends, internet, parties, food etc.
. Understand the boredom :zzz:
:goodpost: excellent advise, dont forget to yawn also

m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

I have struggled with insomnia on and off all my life. What helps me is the already suggested no caffine at least 4 hours prior to bedtime, making sure i get some exercise during the day, even a few minutes walking seems good and especially important on my days off from work, when i have a tendency to just laze about.
Also, keeping the same sleep and wake schedule for days off as for work days and getting into a meditative frame of mind when i get in bed to sleep.
There is also a trick i heard about a few years ago that i have had some success with, count your exhales backward from 99, only count the exhales and count the breaths dont breathe the counts, if you lose track start over from 99. I dont remember ever getting to the sixties without either falling asleep or losing count. I dont know if the magic to this technique is that its inherently calming or if it just stops the mind from thinking too much, but it really seems to help.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Pro-tip for Melatonin: less is more. Instead of taking 9mg, try half a pill at 1.5mg. Also, make your place as dark and as silent as possible. Even the minute buzz and glow of electronic equipment can keep you stimulated.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Meditate right before you go to bed.
Don't stimulate at night w/ TV, music, video games
Keep a regular schedule.
Don't drink caffeine after 3pm.
Don't eat too late, especially sugar.
Exercise more and harder.
Don't nap for more than 15 minutes at a time during the day and don't nap at night.
Turn off or block all light sources in your room.
Get up earlier to fall asleep earlier.
Get f.lux.

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa