My Weightloss

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

My Weightloss

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:33 pm

Since mid december I have been on a calorie controlled diet, with most of my food intake being before noon where possible.
I am currently weighing in at 86kg down from 101kg.

At the moment I can fit into the suit I got when I left the monastery, but the waistcoat is still slightly tight. and am now relaxing the diet a little over the weekends.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Re: My Weightloss

Postby cooran » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:40 pm

Well done! :clap:

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:01 pm

Well done Cittasanto!

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:42 pm

another 10kg and id be at my monastery weight :/ not aiming for that but fitting the waistcoat is a must :D
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:47 pm

We expect photos!

:thumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Modus.Ponens » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:50 am

Very cool. :)

I've been losing weight too. With two basic principles: 1- I don't eat so much "garbage"; 2- I don't use elevators (I have to climb 9 floors to get to my apartment). Even just the elevator thing is enough to at least not geting more weight.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:49 am

Hi Modus,
I am currently doing aproximatelly 4miles walking monday to friday. weekends are harder to get any exercise in :( but there are a few walks I want to do on them.
I use runkeeper to keep track so if you have me on FB youll be able to see the routes...
Cittasanto

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:27 pm

Cittasanto wrote:I am currently weighing in at 86kg down from 101kg.

Good job!

Modus.Ponens wrote:I don't use elevators (I have to climb 9 floors to get to my apartment). Even just the elevator thing is enough to at least not geting more weight.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Modus.Ponens » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:05 pm

Cittasanto wrote: use runkeeper to keep track so if you have me on FB youll be able to see the routes...

I left facebook a few months ago.

David N. Snyder wrote:
Modus.Ponens wrote:I don't use elevators (I have to climb 9 floors to get to my apartment). Even just the elevator thing is enough to at least not geting more weight.

Of course! The stairclimbing aficcionado aproves! :mrgreen:

It's funny because it's probably the cheapest way to do exercise.

And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby Alobha » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:54 pm

Well done!
Alobha

Postby robdog » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:30 pm

Well done on your weight loss, i have lost around 5 stone in the last 12 months or so myself, i have been doing yoga and walking my dog along with eating healthy barring a bag of chips on a Saturday night along with a bar of chocolate.

I don't eat my food as early as you but 6 days per week i try to eat around 3pm for my final meal and cook from scratch with fresh veggies every night apart from Saturday.

I hope you get into that waistcoat soon:)
robdog

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:44 pm

I hit the 'Fast' Diet (The 5:2, not 'fast' as in 'rapid') and lost 3 stone.

Excellent regime.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:16 pm

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:I hit the 'Fast' Diet (The 5:2, not 'fast' as in 'rapid') and lost 3 stone.

Excellent regime.

I saw the books on this after starting my diet, can you give a brief rundown on how this diet is done or is it just as it says on the tin?
Cittasanto

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:56 pm

Actually, I hesitate to call it a 'diet'.... And the authors would concur. but it's difficult to know what to call it.

In a nutshell, a person would restrict their calorific intake for 2 24-hour periods per week, and eat 'normally' the remaining 5 x 24-hour periods....

I describe it thus, because the 24 hour periods can be consecutive, should you so wish, or a good period apart; they can run, depending on commitments and lifestyle, from 2pm one day until 2pm the next....
In other words, these 2 x 24-hour periods are for you to adapt and use according to your schedule.... they don't have to be an actual 'day' and they certainly do not have to be the same days, every week.

My personal regime consisted of reducing my calorific intake to 500 (ladies) or 600 (gentlemen) but then I also was very mindful to eat no more than the recommended daily normal calorific intake, the remainder of the week.

the 2 days are promoted as 'plant & protein' days - NO carbohydrates, or severely reduced, and eating in the morning and in the evening.

Some days you might slightly exceed your recommended intake; another day, you may go slightly under. But as long as you are 'thereabouts' it's ok.

The book even gives daily snacks, to tide you over, but again, the calories have to be taken into account....
Of course, the delicious recipes can also be adapted for the remainder of the week, and you can add things like rice, or noodles, the odd potato or small slice of bread....

Very good.
I was concerned that reducing calories to such a basic level would leave me hungry with aching pangs in my stomach, but of course, this didn't happen.

And Fasting is a global practice for some faiths and creeds; such as Ramadan for Muslims, and we too as Buddhists, are encouraged to occasionally limit intake.

I have come to realise that feeling hunger pangs is not dangerous; it is ok to feel hungry for a while. And of all the creatures on the planet, we are the only "Animal" which has regimented its own intake to 'three meals per day'.

Even zoos both vary the times they feed animals now, and even avoid feeding certain animals for a period of time, by emulating 'in the wild' conditions....(we would do well, by the way, to do similar with our own beloved domestic pets!)

Also, i find i drink more water; if i feel hungry, I take a pint of hot water, with one teaspoonful of apple cider vinegar.... If after 20 minutes, I still feel hungry, my body is requesting something more solid. But often, the hunger pangs disappear. My body needed water, and as such, once sated, the pangs disappear.

So this is not so much a diet, in the 'must lose weight' sense... it's more a diet in the 're-think, re-education' sense.

I recommend it. It works well.... Providing you follow the thinking behind it.

it is well-presented, expertly researched and I found it to be extremely beneficial.

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Thu May 01, 2014 1:01 pm

For many people dieting is a problem, precisely BECAUSE they are dieting.

Their mental focus is on what they can eat, how much of it, when.... planning the next meal, looking forward to 'this' or 'that'.... what happens if they break the rules...? Living a more relaxed lifestyle during the weekend and tightening the belt - literally and metaphorically - during the week....

Dieting Obliges you.... It 'makes' you do some things and forbids you doing others....

Sensible eating, researching what works for you, and drinking adequately (dehydration is a much bigger problem than many realise!) is the way to go.
What works well for some, may not work as well for others.

But this I know:
of all the people i personally know who undertook the 5:2 regime, some have failed to see any significant benefit.

But all of those "failures" (and I use the term advisedly) admit to having diverted from the objective. In other words, they relaxed the conditions too much.... and ate the wrong things when perhaps they should have been more judicious in their selection.
One lady i know, stuck to the 2 x 24-hour periods - but admitted to buying chinese/indian takeaways the remainder of the time, and eating at least 3 doughnuts a night.....

Well....d'uh!! :rolleye:

:jumping:

TheNoBSBuddhist

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness