Diet on Solitary Retreat

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Diet on Solitary Retreat

Postby Chi » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:09 pm

I'm in the imagining/planning phase for a two-month personal retreat. I would like to hear some opinions about the food I will store and eat. Here's the preliminary list:

Steel-Cut Oats
Almond Butter
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Green Vibrance Powder
Water

I will not bring anything sweet, because I want to learn what life is like without any sugar. Almost butter might be the only item I might go overboard with at times but I will take a strong determination to limit my intake to one or two spoonfuls a day. I would like to bring as few items with me as possible while still feeling completely confident in the nutritional value and balance of the foods.

What do you think? Is it balanced enough? Am I missing anything? Would you substitute anything?

Thank you all for your thoughtful advice.

Be Happy!
Chi
Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.
Chi

Re: Diet on Solitary Retreat

Postby Weakfocus » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:06 pm

Chi wrote:Steel-Cut Oats
Almond Butter
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Green Vibrance Powder
Water

What do you think? Is it balanced enough? Am I missing anything? Would you substitute anything?

Hello Chi

I am no nutrition expert, but at first glance this diet is lacking in fresh vegetables and fruits. Is it healthy to go for two months without them? Constipation and even vitamin deficiency might manifest themselves without green leafy vegetables and some fruit in diet, although you seem to be relying on some type of supplement powder for them. Personally I would plan for some fruit or vegetable daily.

It will require a strong determination to live off such a limited food (taste) diversity. I know I could not do it. Good for you if you already have that inner strength and maturity, else I would suggest diversifying your food sources lest the meditation retreat become a glorified two month dieting program where the lack of food diversity actually hinders you from the primary objective. Best wishes to you for this endeavour.
Weakfocus

Postby Chi » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:54 pm

Thank you for your advice weakfocus. I am strongly considering adding frozen fruit/veggies to the list since I will want to avoid the supermarket during the retreat.
Chi

Postby Ben » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:58 pm

Chi wrote:
Steel-Cut Oats
Almond Butter
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Green Vibrance Powder
Water

What do you think? Is it balanced enough? Am I missing anything? Would you substitute

To be honest, the above looks like a recipe for failure. If the above is all you intend to eat for sixty days you will either be breaking your retreat or getting sick.

If I we're going to self-cater for sixty days I would be going plant-based whole food diet. That means whole grains, fresh vegetables and fruit, beans or bean products such as tofu and tempeh. I would also incorporate nuts. The only dietary supplements I use (and recommend is vit B12, vit D (in winter), and a reputable probiotic.

My other recommendation is to find out whether your local supermarkets allow ordering via the internet and provide home delivery. This will ensure access to fresh produce for the entirety of your two month retreat.
All the best,
Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Goofaholix » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:12 pm

If this retreat is going to be so solitary that you have nobody supporting you to the extent that they will be checking up on you from time to time and delivering groceries etc then it doesn't see like a good idea to me.

Why not an organised teacher led group retreat?
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby Chi » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:00 am

Thanks for your suggestions and breaking me out of my limited, idealistic shell.

Regarding the teacher-led retreat: I just did a 3-monther in Myanmar and feel solitude would be better for now.
Chi

Postby James the Giant » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:12 am

Add a packet of psyllium or bran fibre, to avoid constipation.
The food ordering-online thing sounds good as suggested above.
In my area the supermarket chain only charges $10 for delivery, even out on the farm, as they save so much money on shop space, rental, etc.
Solo retreat sounds great, may you delight in solitude!
Best wishes.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Postby Goofaholix » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:35 am

Chi wrote:Thanks for your suggestions and breaking me out of my limited, idealistic shell.

Regarding the teacher-led retreat: I just did a 3-monther in Myanmar and feel solitude would be better for now.

If finances is not too much a constraint IMS have hermitages available for this kind of retreat, one in massechusets one in hawaii, there are probably others. At least then there would be someone to help if you needed it.

It might be worth a look.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby Bakmoon » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:19 pm

Protein is a big concern, but that is easy enough to fix. Corn and beans is a classic protein combo that gives you all of your necessary amino acids.

For vitamins I think that the best way to go is with a wide selection of fruits and vegetable products. I think that green peas are good for vitamins but I'm not sure.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.
Bakmoon

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:52 am

try getting hold of a energy drink like supermalt http://www.supermalt.com/products
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness