Fitness and diet help?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Fitness and diet help?

Postby oliviaavaxj » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:35 pm

It's 129 days until my birthday, I want to lose weight, I lost almost 2 stone the start of this year and I've put some of it back on. I weigh 9.9 stone or so my scales say, I want to be about 8 stone 4/5 pounds, I'm 5'2 and really want to be comfortable when I go out for my birthday, I wanna make everyone who has ever called me fat be so surprised! I don't have any money to go to gym, what can I do at home? What's a good diet plan? I hard no where to start, I have no idea what to do. Please help:)
oliviaavaxj

Re: Fitness and diet help?

Postby befriend » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:26 pm

I lost 80 lbs by walking for one hour a day, and eating 3 regular sized meals, this took about 7 months.
befriend

Postby Coyote » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:01 pm

I had a knee injury a while back and can no longer do many forms of exercise, like running or martial arts. Kettlebells have been the solution for me. Ideally you want hands-on instruction so as not to cause injury. They have helped me lose a stone so far (along with watching my eating), and I don't even have to go to the gym.
As for diet, try a calorie deficit of 500-1000 calories, but no more. The best diet plan is one that is balanced and one you can stick to. Remember to eat your fruit and veg, drink plenty of water, and don't forget your cheat days.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Coyote

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:30 pm

You don't need a gym to go walking or jogging/running. There is no substitute for the hard work of exercise and just consuming less calories.

Different things work for different people. Some people like to eat about 3 smaller meals. For me, I prefer one large meal and that's it for the day. Either way, the calories should be at the amount you need to maintain your weight or a little less. Some people don't allow themselves to eat out or insist on no sweets unless they are below a certain weight number. This gives them an incentive to try and lose weight so they can splurge a little.

If you are sedentary, the amount of calories you can eat in a day is only (approx.) your weight in lbs. times 10. For example, to maintain a weight of 120 lbs. you can only eat 1200 calories for the whole day. If you eat less than 1200 calories, you will lose weight that day. If you eat more than 1200 then you gain weight that day. If you have an active exercise program, I believe those calorie numbers can be doubled (or something like that).
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Coyote » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:39 pm

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ - this may help to calculate your calorie needs. I believe you shouldn't go under 1200 for women, 1500 for men. You want 500-1000 under your maintenance to lose weight steadily.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Coyote

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:27 pm

I lost 20kg (3st 2lb) within the past year just by restricting calories and walking more.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby robdog » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:47 pm

I lost around 5 stone (70lbs) in around 12 months by taking up yoga and walking my dog more. I also switched to a mainly vegetarian diet and eat a bowl of porridge in a morning then a second larger meal around 2-3pm then that's it for the day. This has worked for me and at 38 i have never been in better shape:)

Good luck on your quest and i hope you reach your goal :smile:
robdog

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness