Why one meal a day?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
retrofuturist

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

An interesting article I encountered that reminded me of this topic...

Eating one meal per day may promote positive changes in health
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... n27263642/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know from personal experience that I don't do enough physical exercise to justify the consumption of three meals each day... I suspect the same could be said for many other people whose work often has them sat in front of a computer.

:coffee:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Nori

Precepts: Not eating after mid-day / Avoiding lofty beds

Post by Nori »

I am just wondering if anybody on the forum has followed the precepts of not eating after mid-day or avoiding lofty beds (most standard beds are considered "lofty beds") continuously for many years?

If so, it would be nice if you can share your experience on how it brought some benefit or how it may have changed your disposition.

(Also - does hunger in the evenings go away after some period of time?)
ground

Re: Precepts: Not eating after mid-day / Avoiding lofty beds

Post by ground »

Nori wrote:...continuously for many years?
I am wondering too, if there is anybody like this here :smile: Perhaps asking like this isn't the best way to get a response at all ...

Or you expect replies from ordained people only ...

Kind regards
befriend

Post by befriend »

ive heard from people that if you skip dinner enough you get used to it. its done to keep the mind light, think about how you mind is after thanksgiving dinner. hard to meditate.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

befriend wrote:ive heard from people that if you skip dinner enough you get used to it. its done to keep the mind light, think about how you mind is after thanksgiving dinner. hard to meditate.
A more restful night's sleep also.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Zom

Post by Zom »

I am just wondering if anybody on the forum has followed the precepts of not eating after mid-day or avoiding lofty beds (most standard beds are considered "lofty beds") continuously for many years?
I don't use "lofty bed" for some last years, there is no problem with that (unless you prefer to sleep on a floor without a bedding -). Eating once a day is harder to observe - at first I found it almost impossible to keep. At the present time I've realized for myself that eating once a day is more than enough and that hunger is partly (or even may be "largely") produced by pure mental desire to eat something. Yes, it is true that hunger disappears when you practise this precept for quite a long period of time (even a month can be enough). The good idea is to eat after 5 hours since you get up in the morning (no matter at what time exactly you get up). And you should eat a lot of food, not little (right amount depends on each person, so this should be figured out by yourself). If you want to be ritualistic and follow the rule as it says "eat before noon" - then this will be a good idea to get up early, so to keep these 5 hours before taking food. And of course, it this case you'll have to go to bed earlier too (otherwise you will fight with hunger in the late evening).

Also, in the beginning you can practise like that: eat once a day, and then have a tea with cakes or candies or chocolate or cheese in the evening. After some time you will manage to drop cakes & candies ,) Tea is no problem - you can keep it - this is not a food -)

:stirthepot: Image
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Hunger goes away, as long as you get enough to eat during the one meal. I have been doing the one meal program for several years and feel much better, sleep better, and it keeps the weight off.

See also this thread: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3045" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ground

Post by ground »

I think it is very challenging (if not impossible) to get enough calories to cover basic caloric needs with one meal only. I would suggest to have two meals before mid-day.
I am underweight and once gave it a try for a few days only and still lost too much weight with two meals.

Kind regards
bodom

Post by bodom »

TMingyur wrote:I think it is very challenging (if not impossible) to get enough calories to cover basic caloric needs with one meal only. I would suggest to have two meals before mid-day.

Kind regards
As Bhante G says "Eat your breakfast like a king, share your lunch with a friend, and give your dinner to your enemy."

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Nori

Post by Nori »

I think in the Tipitaka, in almost all cases, the Buddha wakes up early in the morning and goes for alms (anyone know what time that is, btw?). I am assuming that he will eat what he was given not too long after in the morning..

I am wondering if it is the case that monks will generally eat once in the morning and then once again before noon? Or is it strictly once a day? (if so, closer to morning or midday?) Is it specified in the Vinaya?
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Most monks I know eat two meals. As I understand it, the Vinaya specifies a time for eating (dawn to noon). Eating just one meal is an additional ascetic practice, mentioned in some Suttas.

And note that there is no prohibition on fluids, which would make it much more difficult.

:anjali:
Mike
Nori

Post by Nori »

Zom wrote:
Also, in the beginning you can practise like that: eat once a day, and then have a tea with cakes or candies or chocolate or cheese in the evening. After some time you will manage to drop cakes & candies ,) Tea is no problem - you can keep it - this is not a food -)
Thanks for your suggestion, and thanks David for feedback.
Nori

Post by Nori »

I wonder if sleeping on a lower bed really has any significant effect on ones ego or conceit?

Or was this precept in response to the prevalence of Guru's lounging on extravagant 'decked out' seats and beds during that period? Or an ascetic practice of taking away extreme comfort?

I am still baffled that it is one of the eight precepts.. I would figure that it would have to be very significant for it to become one of eight precepts.

Does anyone believe the effect of this precept is significant and why?

I have often considered cutting off the legs from my platform bed, but then I cannot store boxes underneath. I also do not see the reason.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Last edited by Nori on Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ground

Post by ground »

I am interpreting the precepts beyond the first five to be a refinement of the first five, i.e. with the purpose of enhancing awareness of one's subtle self (grasping) habits and to train to "see through" these habits and thus to establish (more or less) effortless discipline. These precepts are not "an end in themselves". They are "method". To appoach them with a competitive mind or "what do I get from it" actually undermines the purpose of these precepts.

Kind regards
alan

Post by alan »

This is a perfect example of minor rules which should have been abolished.