Why one meal a day?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Ben

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by Ben »

manasikara wrote:Ah, coffee...the noble bean, dispeller of torpor! The black drink that zaps light into tired neurons! Where would I be without it... ( --> :zzz: )

:anjali:
Less agitated!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
manas

Post by manas »

Last edited by manas on Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Zom

Post by Zom »

I think that this is not too skilful to depend on some substances in meditation - like coffee or analgesics or whatever.

The right way to overcome sloth and torpor is to clean the mind with the help of Dhamma.
As I found out, when I'm slack in my practice, sloth and torpor overwhelms my mind. But if I keep on being mindful and meditate 1-2 hours a day - then I'm free of sloth and torpor all the time, every day, both in and out of meditation, and sometimes it is even difficult to fall asleep because of the aroused inner energy ,)
manas

Post by manas »

Zom wrote:I think that this is not too skilful to depend on some substances in meditation - like coffee or analgesics or whatever.

The right way to overcome sloth and torpor is to clean the mind with the help of Dhamma.
As I found out, when I'm slack in my practice, sloth and torpor overwhelms my mind. But if I keep on being mindful and meditate 1-2 hours a day - then I'm free of sloth and torpor all the time, every day, both in and out of meditation, and sometimes it is even difficult to fall asleep because of the aroused inner energy ,)
Hi Zom,
I'm well aware of the Buddha's instructions for the dispelling of sloth and torpor, and caffeine wasn't on the list as I recall. Yeah, I guess I'm just imperfect. It could also have to do with my often unusual and disruptive routines, however. (May I ask if you have kids to look after, for example?) Furthermore, you took what I said the wrong way, I'm not 'depending' on caffeine in the way you seem to think, although as I said in my capricious way, it does seem to have it's uses sometimes. But I really have to be more careful what I write here, as I guess on an online forum people will take things literally, and miss (my obviously failed attempt at) irony. Anyway, we should be here to encourage, rather then criticize each other, so - I'm glad to hear you are able to deal with this issue well, very good.

manas.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Zom

Post by Zom »

(May I ask if you have kids to look after, for example?)
Daughter, 6 y.o. .) She is cool 8-)
I'm glad to hear you are able to deal with this issue well, very good.
Me too used to drink strong tea at numerous 2-days retreats in our center (especially in the morning time). However, as I found out, this doesn't work too well. Dhamma methods proved to be better .)
bodom

Post by bodom »

Zom wrote:
(May I ask if you have kids to look after, for example?)
Daughter, 6 y.o. .) She is cool 8-)
Great pic Zom!

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

:thumbsup:
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Post by bodom »

Very good posture I might add. Better than mine! :jumping:

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
manas

Post by manas »

She is 6 years old, and can sit still and meditate? Sadhu, Zom! She actually looks very focussed in that picture.

Zom

Post by Zom »

There's one more funny pic ,)

However, no, she does not meditate at all - these couple of shots where taken when she was going to parody my own sittings )) But anyway, she is a wise, she does understand many important Dhammas and she even maganes to control her negative states, replacing them with positive ones - by her own.

There is one more, very interesting and I must say, astonishing picture. This she painted a year ago, when she was five. You will never guess what is that. Her explanation was the following: Here is a girl (only one girl, not two). This girl has a cat. When the mind of the girl is defiled - then she beats this cat with a broom while the cat is trying to get some food. However, if the mind is not defiled, she smiles and feeds the cat by herself. Four baloons mean the quantity of defilements in the mind. The first one has too much inside, so this is bad (marked by "X"). The second one has a bit less, but still doesn't fit (also marked by "X"). The third one has only a tiny piece of defilements - but even this is not enough (marked by "X"). While the last one, near the smiling girl, is OK, has no defilements and marked by "V").
:idea:
Last edited by Zom on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Zom,

The page that comes up for me in the link, appears to be a log-in page in a non-english language.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Zom

Post by Zom »

Fixed ,)
manas

Post by manas »

Hi Zom,

that she associates the 'clear mind' (empty of defilements) with the positive mind-state of metta (smiling girl feeding the cat) - there's some insight there. I think she is a wise little being.

fxam

Post by fxam »

What portion size do you have when you practice one meal a day?
Do you eat until you feel very full (to 'cover' the hungriness at night), or just enough?
Do you chew throughoutly?
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

fxam wrote:What portion size do you have when you practice one meal a day?
Do you eat until you feel very full (to 'cover' the hungriness at night), or just enough?
Do you chew throughoutly?
I just eat enough. I stop eating just a bit before I feel full and drink a glas of water or two afterwards.
When you're not accustomed to eating once a day you may feel hungry first but your body will adjust to the new situation in a few days.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.