Why one meal a day?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
seanpdx

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by seanpdx »

alan wrote:Sorry--westonaprice.org.
Great stuff!
Even if you don't agree with my opinions or really think I'm kind of a jerk---check it out. I promise it will be to your long term benefit!
Cheers!
I wasn't going to post, but since the obvious retort doesn't appear to have been posted yet:

Want to know why the vinaya rules exist? Read the vinaya. If you don't want to read the entirety of the vinaya itself, read the next best thing. Ajahn Thanissaro's "Buddhist Monastic Code". I'll even post the link: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... intro.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, the simplest answer is also the most obvious. To prevent clinging to food.
Kokoro

Post by Kokoro »

Forgive my apparent lack of memory if this has been posted above but I think it's important to point out that although one may observe the practice of taking one meal per day, I am fairly sure it is correct to say that one may take a drink of water or tea throughout the day. Even if one takes only one meal and drinks only water the rest of the day, assuming that meal is well-balanced and healthy, the practicioner should be able to maintain a good level of health and energy.

:anjali:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Kokoro wrote:Forgive my apparent lack of memory if this has been posted above but I think it's important to point out that although one may observe the practice of taking one meal per day, I am fairly sure it is correct to say that one may take a drink of water or tea throughout the day. Even if one takes only one meal and drinks only water the rest of the day, assuming that meal is well-balanced and healthy, the practicioner should be able to maintain a good level of health and energy.

:anjali:
I don't think it is specifically mentioned above but yes, so long as it isn't classed as food (one of the five tonics for instance), there is a thread on the five tonics on the go at the moment if you are interested.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

alan wrote:Hi Chula. Thanks for the better link.
I have done many years of research; there is no doubt that regular vigorous exercise and a diet of good fats, high quality protein and only the best carbs--like broccoli--is the best path to good health. Westonaprice.com is a great place to start for anyone interested in this subject.

Cheers!
Good physical health, sure, that may be the case.

But the Dhamma is more about good mental health, which comes about through removing taints within the mind. This in turn is done through the trainings in morality, meditation and insight.

These lead to the state of liberation, nibbana, which is known as true "health". A healthy body which is still afflicted with craving, aversion and ignorance is of secondary worth in Buddhism.

Have you also carried out "many years of research" into these three trainings? Many of the posters above have, and that is why they are answering as they do. You seem to have an implicit assumption that people are only making these statements without having tried them, but I assure you that this is not the case.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
tabhastal

Post by tabhastal »

While one meal a day may be okay for people who are already healthy, it is a big mistake for people who are sensitive to levels of blood sugar such as diabetics and pre-diabetics. Blood sugar has a direct connection with mood, ability to concentrate and hunger. The absorption rates of carbohydrates can be somewhat control by eating low glycemic carbs. Blood sugar levels are affected throughout the day by food, exercise, stress and must be controlled through regulation of food, even for those who use medication and insulin. Diabetics simply cannot eat one meal per day and expect to stay healthy.

So the "one meal a day" thing must be considered in light of one's own health. If you are sensitive to changing levels of blood sugar, lack of appropriate amounts of carbs at specific times will only result in problems. And all the meditation you can do will not save your eyes, kidneys or legs.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

tabhastal wrote:While one meal a day may be okay for people who are already healthy, it is a big mistake for people who are sensitive to levels of blood sugar such as diabetics and pre-diabetics. ...
Of course. And sometimes monks are advised by a doctor to eat in the evening, so they do. I knew one personally.

And remember that fluids such as tea or fruit juice and certain "tonics" are allowed (it varies, but the Ajahn Chah monks, for example, often have snacks of dark chocolate). So it's not as if one can't have some sugar.

Anyway, as has been pointed out, the common practise is two meals.

Metta
Mike
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

tabhastal wrote:While one meal a day may be okay for people who are already healthy, it is a big mistake for people who are sensitive to levels of blood sugar such as diabetics and pre-diabetics. Blood sugar has a direct connection with mood, ability to concentrate and hunger. The absorption rates of carbohydrates can be somewhat control by eating low glycemic carbs. Blood sugar levels are affected throughout the day by food, exercise, stress and must be controlled through regulation of food, even for those who use medication and insulin. Diabetics simply cannot eat one meal per day and expect to stay healthy.

So the "one meal a day" thing must be considered in light of one's own health. If you are sensitive to changing levels of blood sugar, lack of appropriate amounts of carbs at specific times will only result in problems. And all the meditation you can do will not save your eyes, kidneys or legs.
that is why there are exceptions! the five tonics as an example, but the practice of one meal a day is not for someone doing hard manual labour, but a meditator who will obviously have different nutrient requirements than someone who is running a marathon everyday, or sick! and the meal period is from dawn till noon, that means food can be eaten then not after, it is not the same as the one sessioner practice which is one sitting.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
suanck

Post by suanck »

When I am attending an organized meditation retreat (10 days) or self-retreat (2-3 days), I try to observe the 8 precepts (including the precept of not eating after mid-day).

However, due to illness, I need to eat something before taking medication in the evening. Usually, it's a slice (or 2) of bread with a glass of warm milk. So, I used to say half-jokingly to my Dhamma friends: "I'm a seven-and-half preceptor"!

Suan
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

For those with medical conditions, they simply consume what they need as "medicine".
This has always been part of the whole notion of "one meal a day". It has never been applied as an absolute rule without exceptions or reflection.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
vpopov81

1 meal a day

Post by vpopov81 »

Does anyone here take only 1 meal a day? Can you tell me your experiences with this? How many calories do you pack in that meal?? Is it harmful to eat once a day? I know theravada monks in my area who eat 2 meals a day but never after noon. And the meals are big too. I am curious as to talk to someone who takes little food and his her experience with that.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: 1 meal a day

Post by DNS »

Here are a couple of other threads discussing this:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... e+meal+day" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... day#p26697" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
acinteyyo

Re: 1 meal a day

Post by acinteyyo »

Hi,

I undertook the one-sessioners practice for a month. Maybe you are interested:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 868#p41142

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

Hi.

Next month I will go to a retreat and I'll apply the 1 meal a day precept for the first time. I am very thin and I run out of energy when I don't eat for a long time.

I was thinking to take Berocca in the case that I feel weak (http://www.berocca.co.uk) but a friend says that it can cause to be more hungry. Do you know if this is true? What do you recommend to take in case of emergency?

Thank you
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Some granola bars, or fruit, or honey...or all three...
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

Thank you very much Bhante. This looks much more natural than the chemical solution :smile: