Healthy recipes

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Re: Healthy recipes

Postby alan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:25 am

Hi Anna
No need to be afraid of fat. Olive oil is good for you!
Just don't fry anything in it.
alan

Postby alan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:28 am

How about a tiny bit of fresh shaved garlic on top, before broiling. Yum!
alan

Postby alan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:45 am

That reminds me of a story. I remember a taxi ride in Athens, a few years ago. We fell into conversation, and the driver told me how much he wanted to go to America. What was stopping him?
"Maybe I won't be able to get my favorite olive oil there".
He went on to tell me that Greeks are healthy because they drink two ounces of pure olive oil every day.
Who knows? Maybe olive oil is good for the lungs. How else to explain a nation of nicotine addicts who somehow manage to remain healthy? :)
alan

Postby cooran » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:05 pm

Hello all,

Only just saw this topic!

I thought this was a novel way to look for healthy recipes. Just click on the icon picture. Appears to cover both meat-eaters and veggos.
Healthy Recipes
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv ... hc_recipes

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Jhana4 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:09 pm

Both of these sites only post recipes that are heart healthy, reduce cancer risk, reduce diabetes risk and promote weight control:

NutritionMD.com

PCRM
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jhana4

Muesli slice

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:40 am

Greetings,

Here's a good healthy recipe, for children and adults alike... it might take a little decoding for those used to alternative metrics and terminology.

Muesli slice
(makes 12 - can be scaled up or down without problem)

100g light-brown sugar
150g self-raising flour
90g frozen grated cocnut, defrosted (frozen grated coconut is available int he freezer section of Asian food stores, or you can use dried shredded coconut)
90g rolled oats
75g raising or sultanas
75g dried dated, chopped
75g dried apricots, chopped
60g unsalted pumpkn seeds
60g honey
2 tbsp water
1/2 cup apple puree (or apple sauce)
125g tahini (sesame seed paste)
1 x 60g egg, lightly beaten

Preheat the oven to 180'C. In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, coconut, oats, dried fruit and pumpkin seeds. Heat the honey, water and apple puree in a saucepan until the honey has melted. Pour the hot honey mixture and the tahini over the flour mixture. Stir until the mixture comes together.

:stirthepot:

The consistency will be quite stiff. Stir in the beaten egg. Line a lamington tin (18cm x 25cm x 3.5cm) with baking paper. Spread the mixture evenly in the tin.

Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool on a wire rack. When cold, cut into 12 pieces. The slides keep will if they are individually wrapped with cling wrap and stored in an airtight container.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Annapurna » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:18 am

What is "self-raising flour", Retro? :shrug:
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Postby Ben » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:11 am

Annapurna wrote:What is "self-raising flour", Retro? :shrug:

In case my earlier post didn't go through, Anna. The following link should give you the low-down on self-raising flour:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-raisi ... sing_flour

Used extensively in this country for baking cakes and sweet slices instead of yeast.
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Annapurna » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:45 pm

Ah, thanks, Ben.

I've never seen that here.

For my taste, that's too processed.

I would need 2 different sorts of flour, one without baking powder for yeast doughs, for Schnitzel, for basically everything else.... :?

Not to dismiss Retros recipe!

I'm just used to pure flour.

:stirthepot:
Annapurna

Postby Ben » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:59 pm

Hi Anna,

Annapurna wrote:Not to dismiss Retros recipe!

Its actually not Retro's recipe. Its a recipe by one of our leading chefs. He got it out of my scrap-book while he has been staying with me. Retro helped me make 160+ slices over the weekend. Our students and staff love the muesli slice. Retro also helped me to make Hyderabadi tomato chutney and Ayival (mild coconut and yoghurt vegetable curry) for 84 people. I had the whip out and I was working him like a trojan!
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:21 am

The whip was scary, but the knife was worse...

12022011300_resize.JPG
12022011300_resize.JPG (63.31 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Annapurna » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:45 pm

Cool picture! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun! When will I get a few of your Muesli slices? With "selfraising flour"?? :tongue: :twothumbsup: :heart:
Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:47 pm

Ben wrote:Hi Anna,

Its actually not Retro's recipe. Its a recipe by one of our leading chefs. He got it out of my scrap-book while he has been staying with me. Retro helped me make 160+ slices over the weekend. Our students and staff love the muesli slice. Retro also helped me to make Hyderabadi tomato chutney and Ayival (mild coconut and yoghurt vegetable curry) for 84 people. I had the whip out and I was working him like a trojan!
kind regards

Ben

I bet you're doing this on purpose, to make me drool!!! :lol:

Naughty Ben!
Annapurna

Smoothiness

Postby Bunjers » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:30 am

Four nice green smoothie recipes pdf. on my Scribd account :thumbsup:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/50250322/SMOOTHINESS
Gāravo ca nivāto ca, Santutthi ca kataññutā, Kālena dhammasavanam, Etam mangalamuttamam :anjali:
Bunjers

Postby Ben » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:19 am

Annapurna wrote:
Ben wrote:Hi Anna,

kind regards

Ben

I bet you're doing this on purpose, to make me drool!!! :lol:

Naughty Ben!

I love it when Anna drools!
Get your saliva glands ready Anna, I'm about to post another one...

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:38 am

Morrocan vegetable tagine

375g courgettes cut into 3mm rounds
225g carrots, cut into 3 mm rounds
1.5 tsp garlic finely chopped
1.5 tsp roasted ground cumin
1.5 tsp paprika
2 tbs fresh coriander, chopped
2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
1.5 tsp salt
Fresh black pepper to taste
285g potatoes, peeled and cut into 3mm rounds
285g green cabbage, shredded
1 large onion, peeled and cut into 3mm rounds
2 large tomatoes, cut into 5mm rounds
1 medium green pepper, seeded and cut into 5mm rounds.
4 tbs olive oil

Preheat oven to 180degC

Arrange the courgettes into a single layer, slightly overlapping on the bottom of the casserole or tagine. Add a layer of carrots, also slightly overlapping. Sprinkle with 0.25tsp of garlic, cumin paprika each. 1 tsp of fresh coriander and parsley, 0.25 tsp salt and pepper to taste.

Arrange potatoes in a layer, slightl overlapping the slices, on top of the carrots. Sprinkle with 0.25tsp of garlic, cumin paprika each. 1 tsp of fresh coriander and parsley, 0.25 tsp salt and pepper to taste. Spread the cabbage on top of the potatoes and apply the seasonings as before.

Carefully arrange the onions in a single layer overlapping, over the cabbage. Be careful to keep the onion rings together and maintain their shape – as much as possible!. Sprinkle with the seasonings as before.

Arrange the tomatoes in a single overlapping layer over the onion slices. Sprinkle with seasonings as before. Finally, arrange the peppers in a single overlapping layer over the tomatoes. Sprinkle with the remaining seasoning. Evenly pour 2 tbs of olive oil and 120ml of water over the vegetables.

Cover and bake in the oven for 45 to 60 min. During the last 20 minutes, baste 3-4 times with the juices that accumulate at the bottom of the casserole or tagine. Serves six.

I cooked this twice for 45 people (mostly 12/13 year olds) and everyone enjoyed it.

PS: Serve with cous cous.

kind regards

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby caydenL » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:48 am

Very useful thread, thanks for posting this recipes this is really great! :clap:
caydenL

Postby Ytrog » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:26 am

Hmm, I really should try some of these out, because most of my meals are a la *ping* these days :embarassed:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.

mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments

If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Ytrog

Postby harveysmith27 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:16 am

Number of healthy recipes are there nut
the simple healthy recipes are milk , egg , juice and fruit these are cheap and best.
harveysmith27

Postby LeonBasin » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:07 am

I would like to bump. I need more simple veggie recipes?? Links, Ebooks?

Thanks,
Leon
Leon's Writings: http://www.leonbasin.net
LeonBasin

PreviousNext

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness