How to lose weight

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
lovemygreys

Re: How to lose weight

Post by lovemygreys »

alan wrote:You're on the right track!
Veggies=good.
*very low carb is the best*
This has totally worked for me.
Plus sprinting and heavy lifting.
*nodding vigorously*

Body composition is primarily what you eat and secondarily how (often/much) you move your body. And bringing up the rear, but very important to weight loss: stress levels and quantity of sleep.
Heather and the hounds
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

Congratulations Stefan :clap:

On a side note, does any one of you know a pali prayer to say/chant before eating?
I've been searching that cause it would be a great way to abstain from eating sweets and stuff :smile:
octathlon

Post by octathlon »

Admiral wrote:On a side note, does any one of you know a pali prayer to say/chant before eating?
I've been searching that cause it would be a great way to abstain from eating sweets and stuff :smile:
Good idea, Admiral! I googled and found this one at http://buddhism.about.com/od/becomingab ... chants.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wisely reflecting, I use this food not for fun, not for pleasure, not for fattening, not for beautification, but only for the maintenance and nourishment of this body, for keeping it healthy, for helping with the Spiritual Life;
Thinking thus, I will allay hunger without overeating, so that I may continue to live blamelessly and at ease.
That'll take the fun out of it, eh?

And congratulations on your progress, Stefan! :twothumbsup:
alan

Post by alan »

Is anyone here into weightlifting?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Admiral,
Admiral wrote:On a side note, does any one of you know a pali prayer to say/chant before eating?
If you do a search on 'repulsiveness of nutriment' you should be able to find a thread I started months ago which includes a transcription on the contemplation of the repulsiveness of nutriment that is in the Visuddhimagga.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
alan

Post by alan »

Can't live without nutriment, though, can we?
Ben

Post by Ben »

I couldn't agree more, alan!
repulsiveness is not intended to generate aversion.
Rather, it is to develop discernment and to see food for what it really is.
That's all!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

alan

Post by alan »

Seeing food for what it really is--Good topic for a new thread, or not?
I'll leave it up to the moderators.
"repulsiveness" of food--I half understand the idea, maybe some one can help me with this?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Alan
There is already a thread on repulsiveness of nutriment that I mentioned earlier.

Like many other things, the sensory pleasure of food can become a powerful source of craving which can lead to obsession. And here, when I say craving I don't mean the pangs of hunger that one might experience from time to time when one does not eat. The kind of craving I'm talking about is the craving of the sensory pleasure of eating one's favourite things.
Eating is so fundamental and because it is a sensory activity, craving, aversion and attachment to food or to the foods we enjoy can run very deep. So, the point of the exercise of 'repulsiveness of nutriment' is merely to break one's attachment to the sensory pleasure of inbibing and eating and view food as merely a remedy for hunger. As I said earlier, despite the language used and the descriptions given in the Vism, like maranasati (charnel-ground contemplation), the object is not to develop aversion, rather dispassion.
kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ben

Post by Ben »

I'm just wondering whether anyone has used protein formulas (meal replacement) to assist in weight loss and what your experience has been.
Thanks

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

alan

Post by alan »

Hi Ben
I take a protein formula with coconut oil before my morning yoga.
alan

Post by alan »

And my experience has been...? More energy.
Just make sure to stay away from aspartime.
alan

Post by alan »

Low carb
Lift weight
Sprint!

I'll show you how, if you want.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Alan

Thanks for your comments. Sprinting's out of the question courtesy of an old injury to my knees thanks to years of Aikido when I was a lot younger.
Lifting weights at the moment involves lifting boxes of fruit, moving logs and lifting other heavy and awkward bits and pieces when I do my maintenance and gardening routines.
When I'm at home I can replace one meal a day with a protein shake. When I'm up on my own in the valley I can get away with replacing two meals a day with protein shakes. The formula I'm using is one designed for complementing fitness and incl. 30g of protein per drink. I haven't invested a great deal in the strategy, I've only purchased one 1kg container of powder, so I'm just more interested in giving it a go and seeing what it can do.
Of course, your tips and suggestions will be gratefully received.
kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

alan

Post by alan »

Hi Ben
I'd say you are consuming too many of your calories from protein shakes. What is you're purpose for this?
Quality food is always best--although I'm sure you know that.
Alan